[Ccsf-campus-staff] Curriculum discussion for Open Source Comes to Campus workshop for Sat 3/22

Katherine Moloney kmoloney at mail.ccsf.edu
Tue Mar 11 01:20:30 UTC 2014

Just watched the PyOhio 2010 'Teach Me Python Bugfixing' session:

http://www.pyvideo.org/video/513/pyohio-2010--teach-me-python-bugfixing

...this is an excellent teaching tool, and I would love to find something
like this for other languages.

1) Would be ideal to have this video were playable directly online, even
better if it could be embedded.  Having to download first makes sharing it
harder.  Is there another file format, or could it be (temporarily or not)
upload to a Python or OpenHatch related YouTube account?

Watching this, I can see some additional modules:

    -- creating a proper environment
    -- configure & make
    -- reviewing already submitted patches (setting up relevant build,
installing patch, testing)
    -- creating unit tests
    -- creating patches
    -- figuring out the work flow of the particular open source project
(i.e. reading the community)
    -- plus the end discussion around the 40-46min mark was interesting in
terms of how one
         would manage multiple patches, proper style, comments,
communication, what you can do
         to help those with commit privileges within the project
(reproducing bugs, reviewing patches, etc)

...for this version of the workshop, I could see us watching this video,
and having people ask for clarification via irc, then the presenter could
pause & elaborate as necessary.

I think many of our attendees are pre-code-contribution stage.  The
description of an 'Easy' Python bug as something that will take a
'moderately experienced Python coder one day or less' is likely above many
of our attendees.

** BUT ** a review like this video creates a pathway for them to follow.
 [More long term for OpenHatch & open source in general, it would be nice
to see a library of videos like this.  Does anyone know of any others?]

Katherine