[Ccsf-campus-staff] bringing Open Source Comes to Campus back to City College of San Francisco

Katherine Moloney kmoloney at mail.ccsf.edu
Mon Jan 13 20:10:28 UTC 2014

tl;dr: Feedback on workshop curriculum, skip to the last point for the most
important discussion related to CCSF.

Not sure if I should start this as a separate thread on the OSCTC Planning
list, but I’d like to talk about the ‘Open Source Comes To Campus’ event
goals & curriculum.  I applaud the long term goals of teaching the tools of
open source & introducing new users, community members and eventual
contributors to open source projects.

I think City College of San Francisco, as a community college, is an
excellent example of a place where OpenHatch will encounter low-skill,
low-experience event attendees…as well as some who have been hacking, on
irc, participating in open source since they were in middle school.

I think both streams of the people – the low-skill/experience and the high
– are important to the health of open source as the transition from low to
high is one that everyone goes through.

I look to Railsbridge/Bridgetroll from the Ruby community:

http://docs.railsbridge.org/docs/

http://www.bridgetroll.org/

…as a sample of something like what OpenHatch is trying to create with
‘Open Source Comes To Campus’ and its ‘Training Missions’ – online
curriculums that anyone anywhere at any time can use (and imagine you or
other are working on open source project discovery sites [I see ‘Find A
Project’ -- https://openhatch.org/search/ -- but I’m curious about any
other portals that are worth sharing with our membership too]).

Looking at the current OSCTC curriculum:

https://openhatch.org/wiki/Open_Source_Comes_to_Campus/Curriculum

…here is what I remember about the last time we ran this event (and I still
need to find the official debrief notes & survey results...would be nice if
Asheesh could post a link to these):

> We ran this as a one day workshop.

> Having a separate Installfest night several days before the workshop
would allow some of the low-skill/low-experience folks to be ready for the
one day workshop (we did not do this last time, but will this time -- no
OpenHatch folks need attend this, though you would be welcome).

> Introducing irc first/early worked really well as a bit of the culture of
irc – the joking, the running commentary, the fun, the help – was
communicated.  I especially liked how links were shared via irc, so that it
couldn’t be ignored by those who weren’t comfortable watching it &
listening to a presenter at the same time.

> irc, git, version control and hands-on practices with these basics were
important for us.  I can see how some might choose to track the workshop as
the Railsbridge folks do here --
http://www.bridgetroll.org/events/75/levels -- however, for this particular
instance of the OSCTC at CCSF, we won’t because we want the more
experienced members to help the less experienced, and this will help build
our local club community.

> the career panel – open source contributors talking about their path thru
open source, how this interacts with their companies, their careers, their
hiring, their side projects – is a really popular section

> the history and ethics of free software is a really essential piece, to
transmit the culture of open source to new entrants

> the next part of the curriculum jumps to making open source
contributions, which feels like a big jump.  For example, these are the
bite-sized (i.e. ‘good for newcomers; relatively easy and rewarding to
fix’) using the Java language (which is one of the core curriculum
languages here at CCSF in addition to C++):

https://openhatch.org/search/?q=&toughness=bitesize&language=Java#

…in some ways it seems better to make a connection with an open source
community vs a drive-by contribution.  Many of our most experienced club
members don’t make code contributions directly to the projects they follow
– they host archives, answer questions on irc, test new code, submit or
comment on bug reports with the details of what machines they have
replicated the problems on – these are folks who spend hours per day, but
have yet to make a commit.

>From my limited perspective, I wonder if there are some intermediate
modules:

    + introducing folks to open source alternatives -- http://www.osalt.com/ --
pointing out the common software they probably already use, encouraging
them to install and use more such software

    + introducing folk to the open source communities for the projects that
they use all the time, discussing the things they like and don’t like about
particular open source software, showing how to navigate the common issue
trackers, the communication channels – blogs, list archives, issues
trackers – basically how to getting the working life of a particular open
source project

I think intermediate goals are to use, to follow, to participate in the
life/dialogue of the community.

What do you think about this?

Katherine