[Ccsf-campus-staff] Fwd: are you available for Google Hangout 7:30pm Pacific time on Tue Aug 19th ( **TODAY** ) ?

Katherine Moloney kmoloney at mail.ccsf.edu
Tue Aug 19 12:12:10 UTC 2014

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Katherine Moloney <kmoloney at mail.ccsf.edu>
Date: Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 5:10 AM
Subject: are you available for Google Hangout 7:30pm Pacific time on Tue
Aug 19th ( **TODAY** ) ?
To: Tyler B <tylerbrothers1 at gmail.com>, Kevin Morris <kevr at nixcode.us>,
Maribel Gordon <mgordon8 at mail.ccsf.edu>, ccsf-campus-staff at openhatch.org

Location & funding is moving along nicely.

Let's talk mentors & curriculum.

    (1) Asheesh, are you available to attend/lead this particular workshop
in SF on Sat 9/13?
    (2) Planning to try a self-paced structure this time

Based on my experience with WWCode OSS meetup this week:
http://www.meetup.com/Women-Who-Code-SF/events/195850392/

          + really want to increase the number of mentors to students
          + think we should have at least 2 mentors from each open source
project -- that way they can back each other up
          + especially need a lot of mentors for the beginners -- while
some mentors will come to have students work on their projects, and have
easy-start bugs for them to work on; other mentors will just take the time
to be on hand to help them with the GitHub workflow walk-thrus, connecting
to irc for the first time, etc
          + think we might take a page out of the Railsbridge play book &
have mandatory installation night before hand that students must attend, or
they can't come to the Sat event -- with exceptions for those who clearly
take the initiative & demonstrate that they've got their dev installation
taken care of beforehand

...fewer students might attend, but I think everyone will be more excited
by what happens there.

FYI, I won't be there as I'd had already scheduled a similar workshop
before Shauna posted the dates:

    http://www.meetup.com/Women-Who-Code-SF/events/195850762/

...however, I know with good planning, this will be the best workshop yet.

Hope everyone can chat later today.
Regards,

Katherine