[Ccsf-campus-staff] Mozilla at our CCSF event

Katherine Moloney kmoloney at mail.ccsf.edu
Fri Aug 8 23:30:35 UTC 2014

[CC-ing some web-related faculty at City College on this conversation]

Hi Jennie,

Is there a regular Mozilla-related hack night meetup in San Francisco?
 Sometimes it's nice to meet folks in person, if possible, in addition to
online.

Just to throw them out there, here are the Mozilla suggested projects for
the last rounds of Google Summer of Code & the GNOME Outreach Program for
Women internships:

    https://wiki.mozilla.org/Community:SummerOfCode14
    https://wiki.mozilla.org/GNOME_Outreach_Summer2014

Additionally, I would mention some details about the way City College of
San Francisco  is structured.  The related departments at CCSF are Computer
Science & Computer Networking:

Computer Science <http://www.ccsf.edu/Schedule/Fall/computer_science.shtml>
has a core curriculum of either Java or C++ in order for students to meet
transfer requirements for the UCs and CSUs.  Additionally, the department
has an excellent Unix/Linux curriculum, and a solid set of SQL classes in
the MySQL, Oracle and SQL Server flavors.  There are one-off classes for
perl, PHP, Ruby, iPhone.  The Java curriculum leads into a number of
Android classes.

Computer Networking
<http://www.ccsf.edu/Schedule/Fall/computer_networking_info_tech.shtml> is
an amalgamation of a few different tracks: the various Microsoft
certificate tracks (A+, N+), Cisco certificate tracks.  More relevant to
Mozilla, the "Internet & Web Technologies
<http://www.ccsf.edu/Schedule/Fall/computer_networking_info_tech.shtml#Internet_amp_Web_Technologies>"
core is HTML/CSS and eventually a few JavaScript classes.  An excellent
security track, including hacking & malware analysis classes.

I bring this up because

(1)  JavaScript isn't a core skill at City College.  At the past workshops,
6 people indicated JavaScript experience at the last one, and 11 at the one
before that.  I think we can help student prepare, and...

(2)  if we do some more focused outreach to the Computer Networking
students (as the student groups organizing this event are over in the CS
department), then we'll get more JavaScript experience in the attendee
pool.  In class recruiting will be our most effective tool, ideally by
students standing up & promoting the workshop, but also by faculty taking
the time to introduce the workshop & pass along the registration website
(which isn't ready yet): ccsf.openhatch.org

Plus we should get the CCSF Web Developers & Designers Club
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/ccsf-wddc> to co-sponsor.  I'll be
sending a message over there to see if some students can join our
organizing efforts.

Finally, classes just start on Aug 18, so many students are just in their
first month of programming classes.  I like the idea of giving everyone a
heads up that they should be heading towards open source, but certainly
this potential wave of very green attendees is something to plan for.  The
registration questionnaire:

https://docs.google.com/a/mail.ccsf.edu/forms/d/1hE3G5b5xQEQjNkHqxNemJX1R9CLuv_lkZBZkbmKI3g8/viewform

...will ferret out the experience level we'll be dealing with, so we can
make plans.

Regards,

Katherine