[Ccsf-campus-staff] Mozilla at our CCSF event

Jennie Rose Halperin jhalperin at mozilla.com
Fri Aug 8 09:28:42 UTC 2014

Hi Shauna, Tyler, et al,

Thanks so much for the introduction! Adding in Mike Hoye and Larissa from Mozilla.

So we see it working in a few possible ways (here are a few):

-- We can put more advanced students on mentored bugs and have mentors in the room for them. Any level of Javascript is something that we can, in particular, easily accommodate.
-- We can also find other kinds of projects (documentation, etc.) for other students who may not feel as comfortable picking up bugs.
-- We can use the One and Done Portal from QA as a way to introduce various tasks that people can do at Mozilla.

We have a lot of Mozillians in SF, so have a good deal of flexibility in that respect. In our mind, the most important is to introduce people how to contribute to open source (and Mozilla in particular,) and provide them the help that they need as well as help them learn to mentor bugs themselves. (for lack of a better phrase "train the trainer" type of situation.)

We want to teach people not only how to file bugs but also how to teach others in the future.

What kinds of tasks are your students most interested in? I can get in touch with mentors who are interested in those kinds of specific tasks.

If you want to have a short chat via IRC (jennierose) or skype (jennierosehalperin) let me know!

Best,

Jennie

Jennie Rose Halperin
Community Building Team | Mozilla | http://jennierosehalperin.me | @little_wow | Join us! http://mozilla.org/contribute