[Ccsf-campus-staff] Curriculum / Structure

Katherine Moloney kmoloney at mail.ccsf.edu
Thu Jun 6 07:05:21 UTC 2013

Hello Wonderful OpenHatch-ers,

I've been reading thru the archive of your Events mailing list -- wow, you
are doing so many things at once!

After reading some of the threads about curriculum and post-workshop
self-assessments, I wanted to throw some ideas in the ring:

   - First, I wanted to point out that currently we have a single large
   room booked -- many of the debriefs of other workshops seemed to suggest
   that many events were held in multiple rooms.
   - Possibly push the "Ethics & History of Free Software" module to
   lunchtime
      - first 30-mins of lunch hour:  "Ethics & History of Free Software"
      - 2nd 30-mins of lunch hour:  "career panel" [which I take to mean
      that presenters/TAs talk about developing open source at work &
how they're
      inspired by OS]

...I think:

   - this gets the day started off on a sharper note -- newbies are less
      likely to be excited about an "interactive discussion" first thing in the
      morning
      - this would let us jump right into the skill modules first thing in
      the morning (this is what everyone is most excited about)
      - the history module right before the wider presenter (and possibly
      attendee) comments might "prime the pump" so to speak
   - How about training missions instead of lectures?
      - there can be a recommended flow (starting the newbies off with a
      command line tutorial, more advanced users can jump ahead, etc)
      - presenters/TAs can wander around helping folks
      - attendees will be maximally engaged as they are working on what
      they want to (need to), when they want to
      - if there are video portions, we can ask folks to bring headphones
      (and we can borrow a whole bunch from our CS dept computer lab as long as
      we make sure they all come back)
   - What about publishing the training missions and/or slides before the
   workshop, so folks can get started ahead of time?
      - Then folks can run as far ahead on their own, and use the workshop
      time to ask the questions that they need help with

What do you think of these ideas?
(Just suggestions from someone who is new to your efforts & who is
appreciative that you've been turning over how best to run these workshops
for quite awhile now.)

Katherine