[Campus-uw-staff] [MENTORS] introductions & who's doing what

Shauna Gordon-McKeon shaunagm at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 22:15:17 UTC 2014

Hi everyone,

Thank you for volunteering for the Open Source Comes to Campus event on
Sunday, November 16th at UW!  I wanted to send out a quick email to
introduce you all to each other and open up a space for you to talk and ask
questions about the event.  I’ve also added you all to our mailing list,
campus-uw-staff at lists.openhatch.org, where we’ll be discussing things,
coordinating, etc going forward.  You should have gotten a notification -
if you didn’t, check your spam folder. There will be some logistics stuff
going back and forth on the list, which you can feel free to ignore. Look
for [MENTORS] or [PLEASE READ] in subject lines for stuff to pay attention
to.

We’ve got a bunch of great people involved in this event. It’s being
organized by Ben Marwick, Ana Malagon, Mako Hill, and Allan Ecker.  They’ll
be present at the event (I’ll be helping remotely from Boston) and are your
go-to people for logistical questions like “How do I find the room?” or
“Wait what happens now?”  We’ve got a bunch of other folks coming to mentor
as well.  Please feel free to introduce yourselves!

I have a few questions for each of you as well, to help us figure out who’s
going to do what on the day of the event.  Here are links to the basic
schedule of the event
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JeaC4W0opGsxiyQkGwUX_eRjnbAB_0ClB5GVcyh_WbY/edit?usp=sharing>
as well as explanations of different activities
<https://openhatch.org/wiki/Open_Source_Comes_to_Campus/Curriculum>.  I’ve
filled out some of the basic schedule with suggestions for folks based on
email conversations and sign-up forms.  I’ll repeat those suggestions
here.  Please let me know if you’d like to do something else.

What we’re looking for are:

** One person to present our communications tools lecture.  I’ve not
suggested anyone for this in case someone wants to step forward and lead
this.

** At least five people to lead the git activity.  I’ve got seven of you
down as potential git mentors.  I’ve someone arbitrarily listed Mako Hill
and Allan Ecker as “advanced git mentors”, and as regular mentors Ben
Marwick, Thomas Levine, Jake VanderPlas, Ana Malagon, Venkatesh Srinivas
and Kai Young.  I’ve put down as floating mentors Frances Hocutt and Darius
Jazayeri.

** At least three people who’ve had paid experience in open source (jobs,
internships, fellowships) who are willing to talk about that for our career
panel.  I foolishly left this off the sign-up form so I’ve no idea who’s
willing to do this.  Volunteers?

** We’re also looking for projects for the contributions workshop.  On my
list so far are:

1 - OpenMRS - Darius Jayazeri

2 - OpenStack - Ana Malagon

3 - “something to do with reproducible research, markdown, r” - Ben Marwick

4 - ‘one of: "Blender, Python, Linux, MIT Medialab's Processing" - Allan
Ecker

5 - scipy or ipython - Jake VanderPlas

Floating mentors: Mako Hill, Thomas Levine, Frances Hocutt, Venkatesh
Srinivas, Kai Yang

For those who are currently listed as floating mentors, that means someone
who walks around the room and helps individuals as needed.  If you want to
help students contribute to a project of yours, just let me know.  You can
also help students learn a specific type of task, either: improving project
accessibility
<http://openhatch.github.io/open-source-comes-to-campus/lessons/newcomer-tasks/accessibility/#/>,
improving project setup instructions
<http://openhatch.github.io/open-source-comes-to-campus/lessons/newcomer-tasks/setup/#/>,
cleaning issue trackers
<https://openhatch.org/wiki/Open_Source_Comes_to_Campus/Newcomer_Tasks/Issue_Tracker_Cleaning>,
translating software <https://openhatch.org/wiki/Translate_software>.

Please respond to this email with what you’d like to do, and/or write your
name on the schedule under the roles you’d like to take.  And let me know
if you have any questions!

best,
Shauna