[Campus-uw-staff] inviting students to a free software event on 16 Nov (free event)

Ben Marwick bmarwick at uw.edu
Thu Nov 6 19:02:06 UTC 2014

Hello anthro undergrads,

On Sun 16 Nov, OpenHatch and UW eScience are hosting a day-long open
source software immersion event.  We invite you to join us!  You can
sign up here.

You don’t need to be a programmer to contribute to open source, or to
attend and enjoy our event.  Most open source projects are also in need
of designers, translators, documenters, bug-finders and testers.

Open source software -- software that is shared freely and available to
build upon -- has become part of our daily lives.  Popular projects like
WordPress, Firefox, Adium, and Ubuntu have millions of users. All over
campus, people in all disciplines use and contribute to these kinds of
open source projects.  You can learn more about these projects, and
start helping out with them, at our event.

In the morning, open source contributors from various projects will
teach you about open source licensing, collaboration tools, and how free
software projects are organized. In the afternoon, they'll help you make
hands-on contributions to open source projects. And throughout the day,
they'll feed you, get to know you, and talk with you about opportunities
for students in open source.

Open source participation is one way to gain real-world skills and make
connections that will last you through your career. Volunteer staff will
include professionals and academics who use open source daily.

The event is open to all students. Learn more, and sign up, here:
http://washington.openhatch.org/

Hope to see you there,

Ben Marwick (Anthropology)
Mako Hill (Communications)