[Campus-uofa-staff] getting mentors for the event

Shauna Gordon-McKeon shaunagm at gmail.com
Thu Feb 6 20:53:36 UTC 2014

For the remote career panel:

- I shouldn't have a problem finding 3 mentors (I wouldn't recommend more,
as each person additional increases the likelihood of technical issues).
 The key is figuring out what time the career panel will be, so we can ask
people to keep a specific time free. Once you get me that, I'll send out
emails.

- With only a few days notice, I think it makes sense to limit the remote
mentors to OpenHatch.  From past experience, it would be useful to arrange
about 5 minutes for Asheesh and/or myself to talk to the attendees before
the contributions workshop starts, so we can explain a bit about what we
have for them to work on.  (We recommend that mentors with open source
projects also prepare a 3-5 minute explanation of what they have to work
on.)

~ Shauna

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 3:46 PM, Shane Gianelli <shanejgianelli at gmail.com>wrote:

> [...]
>>> and then mentioning it a few times to remind folks - that'd be great:
>>> http://bit.ly/uofa-exit-survey
>>>
>>> best
>>> Shauna
>>>

>>> On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 12:59 AM, Shauna Gordon-McKeon <
>>> shaunagm at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Looks like you've got everything covered!  That's great to hear - thanks
>>> for going over it all with me.
>>>
>>> Just to clarify a few things:
>>>
>>> - Am I correct that you'd like to do a remote career panel, via google
>>> hangouts?  If so, how many people would you like on the panel?  For remote
>>> panels I recommend staying small, to minimize logistical issues. I can do
>>> email introductions for you and some potential remote mentors tomorrow.
>>>
>>> - Would you like us arrange for any projects with remote mentors via
>>> IRC?  We have plenty of contributions people can make to OpenHatch itself.
>>>  We find that students enjoy this because it's easy to immediately connect
>>> to a community (ours), but it's also great to work on projects with someone
>>> physically at the event.  Whatever you prefer.  :)
>>>
>>> best
>>> Shauna
>>>

>>> On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 12:08 AM, Shane Gianelli <
>>> shanejgianelli at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes, I will be running the event on Saturday.
>>>
>>> I think the schedule model you posed is what we had settled on, with a
>>> minor modification.  After the Career Panel, we were planning on having a
>>> 30 minute talk-back with all the mentors who, for the most part, all have
>>> real-world work experience so that we can help answer any other questions
>>> the students might have.
>>>
>>> The Mentor-Event breakdown will be as follows:
>>>
>>> Laptop Setup - *Matt,* Kate - We will help get all machine variations
>>> setup, all mentors will be on hand to help  on a one-on-one basis.
>>>  Open Source Tools - *Chris LaRose *- With other mentors offering
>>> one-on-one help.
>>> Practicing Git Activity - *Chris van Horne*
>>> Career Panel - *Shane* - I will introduce this event and facilitate it.
>>> Mentor Talk Back - *Roey* - Roey will lead the discussion but all
>>> mentors will be involved.
>>> Workshop - I am asking that all Mentors bring a project or an idea with
>>> them that they will present and responsible for engaging with the students
>>> involved in it during the workshop period.
>>>
>>> I will make sure to keep everything on track and introduce each event,
>>> yes.  I will be emailing all of the mentors tonight.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Shane
>>>

>>> On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 10:30 AM, Shauna Gordon-McKeon <
>>> shaunagm at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks for getting back to me.  The next thing we have to do, by the end
>>> of the day, is to discuss the curriculum and make sure we have people
>>> willing to run the various parts.
>>>
>>> Shane, I presume you will be the one "running" the event - that is,
>>> making sure each activity proceeds roughly on time, reminding people when

>>> Introductions (Need someone to lead introductions, low effort)
>>> 10:30-11:30am Open Source Tools presentation<https://openhatch.org/wiki/OSCTC/Tools>(Need someone to lead this, high effort)