[Campus-uofa-staff] getting mentors for the event

Zuoming Shi zuomingshi at email.arizona.edu
Mon Feb 3 21:27:04 UTC 2014

Since we already did a ton of publicity with the current date, I would
prefer option 1.

Shane, tell me if you need me to volunteer as a mentor. I prefer to be a
normal attendee, but id needed I can be a mentor.

On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 1:29 PM, Shauna Gordon-McKeon <shaunagm at gmail.com>wrote:

> I've been asking since last Wednesday for Shane to get in touch with me,
> and still have not had any contact.  Here's why I'm worried:
>
> I haven't had any discussions with anyone about the precise
> curriculum/schedule you'll be running.  I haven't had any discussions about
> who the mentors are or what skills/experiences they have.  I haven't had
> any discussions about an ideal mentor:student ratio.
>
> Most importantly, I haven't had any discussions about how to train the
> staff to present the curriculum.  While it's nice to think we've documented
> everything well enough that no one has any questions about how to set up
> the Open Source Tools lecture or the Practicing Git activity, I don't think
> our documentation is that good.  At our last event, we did several hours of
> google hangout training with staff members to get them up to speed so they
> could lead activities.  And our new Contributions Workshop structure
> actually *requires* that staff get in touch with us, so we can match them
> to an open source project that fits their needs.
>
> Unfortunately I have an ongoing medical issue with my family where I
> cannot predict my availability over the next week.  So I am unlikely to be
> able to do last-minute trainings with mentors.  This means that we have two
>
> 1) Scaled-back event on Saturday:
>
> I need Shane to get in touch with me ASAP with the list of mentors and
> their skillsets so we can decide what parts of the curriculum are doable.
>  There are substitutions we can make.  For instance, Practicing Git has
> been really successful but requires a large number of mentors who are at
> least somewhat familiar with Github.  We could substitute in our
> self-guided Git training mission.  I think students would get a lot less
> out of it, but it's an option.
>
> We can either skip the Contributions Workshop or limit it to contributing
> to OpenHatch itself where the involvement of remote mentors (myself and
> Asheesh, potentially others) would make up for the lack of familiarity
> among local mentors.  (If the local mentors Shane has found happen to be
> maintainers of open source projects, of course they could help students
> contribute to their projects as well.)  Again, this is not ideal, but it's
> a reasonable option.
>
> 2) Postpone until later in the semester
>
> We're open to postponing the event, so that we can be better prepared for
> it.  This is really your call, as the negatives to doing this - having to
> re-book the space, explain to sponsors, communicate with attendees, etc -
> would fall on your shoulders.
>
> Let me know what you think, as to the above two options.  It's difficult
> for me to say which is better without having any idea of the # of mentors
> you've found, their skills and experiences, and their willingness to
> present parts of the curriculum.  My apologies for the pessimism of this
> email, but having run a dozen of these events myself, I know communicating
> [...]

Zuoming Shi
President, UA Video Game Developers Club
President, UA Asian Music Club
Computer Science and Mathematics, University of Arizona