[Campus-purdue-staff] staff & publicity

Shauna Gordon-McKeon shaunagm at gmail.com
Sun Sep 15 21:16:51 UTC 2013

Hi everyone!

So, right now we have a pretty small # of sign ups - 11 people.  While I'm
sure we'll have a blast even as a small group, our events are usually
larger - 20 to 30 attendees - so we want to make one last publicity push.
 We think this should be pretty successful.

If you know of any individuals who might want to attend, or mailing lists
that might be interested, please send information along!  If you send info
to a mailing list, please let us know which list.  The publicity email
we've been using has been attached below.

As far as staff, we currently have four staffers (Asheesh, myself, Ed and
Mel).  If we only have 10-15 attendees, this is a reasonable ratio, but I'm
optimistic that we'll increase turnout so I'd like to recruit 1-3 more
staffers.  Ed, Mel, being local, do you have any thoughts about who to ask?

best
Shauna

PUBLICITY EMAIL:

On Sunday, September 22nd, OpenHatch <http://openhatch.org/> and the Computer
Science Women's Network at Purdue <http://www.cs.purdue.edu/cswn> are
inviting you to an open source software immersion event.

Starting at 12:30pm and running until 6:30 pm, in LILY 3102, open source
contributors from various projects will teach you about open source
licensing, collaboration tools, and how free software projects are
organized. Then, they'll help you make contributions to open source
projects. And throughout the day, they'll feed you, get to know you, and
talk with you about opportunities for students in open source.

Open source software -- software that is shared freely and available to
build upon -- is a great way to apply your programming skills to real-world
projects and social causes. This event specially welcomes newcomers to that
style of development, and the day begins with teaching workshops that
anyone can follow.

Open source participation is one way to gain real-world skills and make
connections that will last you through your career. Volunteer staff will
include professionals and academics who use open source daily.

To learn more, and sign up, go to:
http://purdue.openhatch.org/