[campus-JHU-staff] More information, and volunteer positions

Denise Paolucci denise at dwscoalition.org
Thu Aug 16 21:30:26 UTC 2012

On Aug 16, 2012, at 5:03 PM, Asheesh Laroia wrote:

> https://openhatch.org/wiki/Open_Source_Comes_to_Campus/JHU
>
> Do give it a read, and let me know what you think, and if you'd recommend schedule changes, and if you have questions, and if you want to volunteer for anything in particular.

this is a reminder that in the initial conversation i had with asheesh about participating in the event, i offered up a talk on overcoming impostor syndrome in yourself and in helping others to get past their own impostor syndrome!

the reason being, on dreamwidth i'd say i spend about 40-50% of my time helping people to work past their impostor syndrome, and i credit our helpful/welcoming environment where it's always ok to ask a question and it's always ok to make a mistake with being the main reason why we're so successful in attracting and retaining newcomers. i've learned a lot of techniques that projects can do to help bypass impostor syndrome in their contributors, but i've also learned a lot of things that people suffering from impostor syndrome can do to help boost their self-confidence.

it may be out of scope for this particular event, but it's something i feel passionate about and i thought i'd offer it for consideration! many open source projects out there can be pretty "newcomer hostile" and make people feel like crap for asking questions, so i think equipping people with the skills to overcome self-doubt and impostor syndrome can really be valuable.

if nobody else is available/willing, i can also volunteer to teach or to TA one of the command line skills workshops, assuming you mean unix command line. (we have a page on the dreamwidth developer wiki -- http://wiki.dwscoalition.org/wiki/index.php/Command_line_tutorial -- called "help! my dreamhack has a command line!", "dreamhacks" being the hosted developer environments we provide for people so they don't have to get enmeshed in dependency hell; the whole wiki is CC-BY-SA, so even if i don't wind up being the person to do the workship, whoever does it should feel free to steal from any of that page with impunity.)

best,

Denise Paolucci
denise at dwscoalition.org
Dreamwidth Studios: Open Source, open expression, open operations. Join us: www.dreamwidth.org