[campus-JHU-staff] Introductions

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Thu Aug 16 21:02:12 UTC 2012

Hello, dear people on the JHU open source comes to campus mailing list,

I'd love if we'd all introduce ourselves. I'll go first.

I'm Asheesh Laroia, and have a background in cognitive science, French
literature, women + gender studies, and computer science. I've been
participating in open source visibly since about 2001, when I started
sending emails to mailing lists, and I've worked for Creative Commons for
two years before starting my own thing that eventually became the
OpenHatch you all are getting to know.

Nowadays I'm a Debian developer. My bias in open source-land is toward
thinking about enormous projects with many collaborators, although I
realize that's not the norm.

I'm interested in organizing the workshop in part because I wish that more
of my colleagues at JHU in 2002-2007 were active in free software. That
and I want it to take over the world so that the power differential between
users and authors of software gets less intense.

Also I like juggling.

-- Asheesh.