[Campus-hartnell-staff] Contributions Workshop time

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Sat Nov 15 09:58:40 UTC 2014

Notes mostly for Shauna, but also for anyone else who's interesed:

I struggled to find a good solid set of oh-mainline bugs for Hartnell. I
did add them to First_Tasks <
https://openhatch.org/wiki/First_Tasks#OpenHatch> and make sure the bugs
themselves are readable.

I'm going to try to add a bunch of Merge Stories tasks, too, and get other
mentors to help students with that. Shauna, I hope that's OK with you?

Other than that, I plan to find one or two mentors and assign them the task
of getting people to work students through the "Finding a Project"
exercise, and then after that, mostly encourage students to follow up on
that with the 3 "Newcomer Tasks" activities at
https://openhatch.github.io/open-source-comes-to-campus/lessons/index.html .

Does that pass a sanity check? Am I missing something? Feedback extremely
welcome.

So, to be explicit:

In the "2:30 PM - 5:30 PM: Contributions workshop (afternoon)" time frame,
here's what I'll do:

* Stand up at front of room, and talk about the point of this 3 hour block,
which is not necessarily for everyone to ship something, but to be
Productively Lost (to quote Mel Chua) -- and to gain much more clarity
about what open source contribution means by trying it hands-on. It's OK to
fail. It's not OK to get stuck and not ask for help, because we want to
make as good a use of the mentor-student time as possible.

* I'll talk about oh-mainline.

* I'll ask someone else to talk about Merge Stories.

* I'll then say, If you have a project in mind that isn't oh-mainline or
Merge Stories, or you have ABSOLUTELY no idea what to do and you don't want
to do oh-mainline or Merge Stories, you should work in a small group with
an instructor on the Finding a Project activity. Then after that, your
small group leader will help you pick one of the 3 "Newcomer Tasks"
activities or help you find a bug to sink your teeth into.

We'll try to take a break at ~4pm (halfway through) to reflect.

Then at 5:30 we'll do a wrap-up.

Shauna, does that pass muster? What would you change?

P.S. Having written this out, I'm thinking we could totally make an
"Instructor handout" for having instructors do something like the above at
future events, if we like this small-groups structure for contributions
workshop.

Thanks!