[Campus-hartnell-staff] communications tools presentation (for Asheesh)

Shauna Gordon-McKeon shaunagm at gmail.com
Sat May 3 15:21:18 UTC 2014

Hey Asheesh,

I pushed an updated version of the intro/tools lecture to github.  It's the
file named "Hartnell.odp".  Let me know if you have any questions. Three
notes:

- I don't remember if you've seen me do this before, but the splash screen
of open source logos at the beginning of the slide deck is an activity: ask
students if they recognize any of the logos and, when they raise hands or
say project names, ask them to explain what the project is.  I feel like
you know all of the projects I put up there except for maybe the bottom
right-hand corner, which is OpenROV, an os software & hardware remote
operated underwater vehicle.  :)

- The slides don't tell you where you pause for the Communications
activity.  Do this after the issue tracker demo, which is a slide in the
deck.

- There's no end to the slides: you get to the question of how to track
changes in the project and that's it: from there, you can go into
discussing what version control is, using wikipedia as an example, and then
heading to the git activity.

This is all straightforward for me as I've given this lecture like a dozen
times now, but I thought it might be helpful to tell you explicitly.

~ Shauna