[Campus-hartnell-staff] [MENTORS] planning for Saturday

Shauna Gordon-McKeon shaunagm at gmail.com
Fri May 2 17:09:37 UTC 2014

Great.  So we're pretty much set, except for having someone take pictures.

For the contributions workshop, the set up will be thus:

* The "Finding a Projects demo":  Asheesh will demo, at the front of the
room, doing this activity with the whole room as his "small group":
https://openhatch.org/wiki/Open_Source_Comes_to_Campus/Curriculum/Finding_a_Project
Then, you'll break off into small groups and go through the activity in
small groups.  By the end of 20 min to half an hour, students should have
contacted in some way at least one project.

* Students will then pause for the rest of the workshop to be introduced.
 Students will be given the option of continuing to investigate the project
they found, or joining a small group:
  - Asheesh working on OpenHatch
  - Katie working on Wikipedia
  - Ryan working on Python tickets
  - Jesse working on the bracket manager

What's key in this second part of the workshop is being attentive to
students and helping them solve their own problems, not immediately knowing
the answers to their questions.  Some questions you can ask to help provoke
thought/further exploration:
* Do you know what this project does?  What interests you about it?
* Have you said hello to the community?  Does it have an IRC channel/have
you joined it?
* Does the project have a guide for contributors?  Have you read it?  Is
there stuff you don't understand?
* Have you tried installing the project/getting it running on your
computer?
* Have you looked through the bug tracker?  Have you found a couple issues
that seem interesting?  (If yes: can you explain what you think is
happening?  Are there parts that you find confusing?)

The contributions workshop should not be framed as an activity with a set
process and a clear solution, the way the earlier activities are.  It is a
process of exploration.  In some ways it's better if you're not an expert
on a project, as you can role model the process of exploration.  If you can
show them how to explore, and show them how much fun you have doing it,
then you'll be successful.  :)

best
Shauna