[Campus-gmu-staff] volunteering and featuring projects at the event

Shauna Gordon-McKeon shaunagm at gmail.com
Sat Apr 5 18:09:39 UTC 2014

Hello everyone,

I just added a bunch of volunteer mentors to this list.  With the event
coming up in two weeks, it's important to settle on which open source
projects we'll be featuring at the event.  Here's what we've got so far:

- Maintainers for the educational project Oppia will be available remotely
during the event.  We need a local mentor - perhaps one of the student
mentors? - who is interested in leading a small group of students
contributing to them.  To do this, you'll want to familiarize yourself with
Oppia before the event (this should take maybe twenty minutes to a half
hour of reading through their documentation, doing a test install, etc) and
then, during the event, checking in with the students in your group to see
if they're stuck, in communication with Oppia on IRC, etc.

- Similarly, we could use a local mentor for OpenHatch itself.  "Why
Shauna," you might ask, "Wouldn't you make an ideal local mentor?"  I
totally can, but I have two other projects I can lead (Open Science
Collaboration blog, WelcomeBot) so it would be nice if someone else wanted
to do this.

- Eric Johnson of the Open Source Shakespeare project will be attending the
event in person. For that project, students will be focusing on improving
installation documentation and potentially helping Eric transition the
project into an online repository.

- I've contacted the leads of Omeka and Zotero, two awesome open source
projects run out of GMU.  I've also contacted folks at Sunlight Foundation,
MapBox, and RedHat.  Have yet to hear back whether they'll be able to
attend and, if so, whether they'll want to help people contribute to their
projects.

If anyone on this list has projects I haven't yet mentioned that they'd
like to include at the event, that's great!  Speak up so we can figure out
how to get that going.  :)

~ Shauna