[Campus-cornell-staff] IMPORTANT: Plan for Open Source Workshop

Jisha Kambo jk2228 at cornell.edu
Fri Nov 14 23:39:13 UTC 2014

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for those who could make it to the meeting! This email is long
but please read it for tomorrow’s plan and instructions. Thank you again
for volunteering to mentor and see you all! I also have this email posted
here :
https://docs.google.com/a/cornell.edu/document/d/1jIh_DonkaOHJqyYO0T0EIy840EjvBzxfteyPgA_A1UQ/edit

Logistics

The event is 12-3 PM in Olin 165. We are requesting all volunteers to
arrive 15 minutes early at 11:45 AM.

One of the doors to the building may need card access, but the main 2 doors
should be open. Either way, I will get there and prop open the door (if
needed) opposite Carpenter Library and the door opening up to Ho Plaza. You
can call/ text me at 609-235-8631.

We have PIZZA and drinks for lunch! yay!

Plan for the event

We’ve tried our best to accommodate your preferences, but we’ve also been
able to delegate more clearly with people who were at the meeting, so if
you couldn’t make it and you feel like you want to contribute differently,
please feel free! We can improvise / go over things again 15 mins before
the event starts.

Before I go on, I want to say that we realize that this is an extremely
short period of time to get ramped up and make a contribution to a project,
so we’re going to try and minimize set-up time, minimize time looking for
projects, and help people get accustomed to the whole process of working on
an open-source project and possibly make a small contribution. Hopefully,
they can use what they learn to get started on making larger contributions
after getting exposed to the idea of contributing to Open Source and the
process of it, basically helping them cross the first hurdle of not knowing
where to start!

*OpenHatch reps* will be available over IRC at : #openhatch, so they can
interact with the larger community, and #openhatch-cornell (a temporary
channel) so that they don’t get lost in the noise. Shauna will be available
as ‘shauna’ on Freenode.

   1.

   We will kick-off with people getting lunch as they walk in and
   socializing, then Eric Chahin will be giving a presentation on open source,
   communication tools and the basics of getting started on a project for
   about 15 minutes ( + fork the repo, add collaborators, send a pull request
   when ready to contribute). Derek Chiang will then talk about Open Source
   Licensing for <5 minutes. The materials used are here:

http://openhatch.github.io/open-source-comes-to-campus/lessons/

   1.

   At this point, we will take a show of hands to see how many people would
   like a GIT tutorial. The plan is that we will divide the room and have
   people interested in learning GIT basics come to the front, while Eric
   leads the tutorial along with other folks. The rest of the people gravitate
   towards the back half of the room and jump in to looking at projects. A
   couple of you wanted to help with this, and Eric will need help too,
   especially with the demos. Since this is in the beginning of the workshop,
   if you could come at 11:45 and talk to Eric (erc73 at cornell.edu), that
   would be great!

   1.

   IMPORTANT: Before the tutorial, all the mentors will introduce themselves
   and talk about the specific projects, if any, that they can help with
   during the workshop. We have modified the organizer suggestions on this
   spreadsheet. If you said you weren't sure about being there the whole time,
   the current recommendation is floating volunteer!
   http://tinyurl.com/mentorsprefs

If you have time, it would be AWESOME, if you can find a project/ set of
issues here that you are comfortable helping a group of students with:
https://openhatch.org/wiki/Open_Source_Comes_to_Campus/Curriculum/Finding_a_Project

If you have a project that you own and you can really help students get
set-up and work on small issues, that is perfect!

Having them go through this process is more important than how big or small
your project is, so please do talk about it when you introduce yourself, so
that students know where to go, as soon as we break up into groups.

   1.

   While the tutorial is going on(for people who know GIT) and the rest of
   the time after it, people will be working on groups around mentors. I am
   imagining this as a clump of seats in the room. Ideally, the mentors
   sitting in a clump will have students working on the project the mentors
   suggested in their introduction. Students have the option of
   collaborating with one other person, and we encourage it! The rest of
   the mentors not sitting with a group of students, will be floating and
   helping everyone with questions! A lot of people will likely need help with
   setting up, problems with different operating systems, etc.
   2.

   We will make people put a sticky note (I have them) on their laptop when
   they need to ask a question. In the last 5 minutes, they’ll be filling out
   an exit feedback survey and any mentors who want to give their contact info
   can write it on the board.

Thank you all, hopefully we all have fun with Open Source tomorrow! Please
let me know if you have any questions!

Cheers,

Jisha