[Campus-columbia-staff] intro email for organizers and mentors at Columbia event this Saturday!

Nik Nyby niknyby at riseup.net
Fri Nov 14 03:49:50 UTC 2014

>    One person to present our communications tools lecture.  Nik, I’ve
>    assigned this to you.

Okay that's fine -- I'll do all the research tomorrow night.. there's
some
basic material for this, right? Sorry I haven't read everything and
don't
have time to find it right now. I could also just talk about the things
that I like to use -- irc and mailing lists.

>    People to talk about open source careers.  It looks like Nik is the
> only
>    one with paid experience in open source.  Nik, would you feel
> comfortable
>    leading a general discussion?  I can also arrange for people to join
> the
>    discussion remotely, including folks who have done GSoC or OPW -
> it’s great
>    to highlight those opportunities as things that students can do in
> the near
>    term.  Nik, let me know what you’re comfortable with.

Yeah it only happened recently that I now have a career writing
GPL-licensed
code. Up until now I've worked primarily on proprietary code, using
permissively-licensed libraries. Software licensing is something I feel
strongly
about but I realize it might not be the most interesting or relevant
thing
to these students, but I could give an intro on some of the different
philosophies.. I think the trend of programmers releasing code with
permissive
licenses like MIT and BSD is very detrimental to the community, but I
don't need
to talk about that, haha.

But yeah I could lead a discussion on open source careers.

>    Four people who feel comfortable enough with git to lead a small
> group
>    of students through our git activity.  I’ve tentatively assigned
> this to
>    Alex, Travis, Ben and Nate, since Nik is already doing so many
> things for
>    us.  :)

Yeah I can help with the git workshop.

>  Nik, did you have a project you wanted to help students
>  contribute to?

The EmberJS project might be a good candidate for this.. I'm not that
involved but I know a lot of the people that work on it.
   https://github.com/emberjs/ember.js

I dunno, though, who would want to work on some "JavaScript framework"?
I'll
try and think of something more interesting projects that would be fun
contribute to tomorrow.