[Campus-claremont-staff] [tickets.openhatch.org #455] Let's bring Open Source Comes to Campus to my school

Shauna Gordon-McKeon shaunagm at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 20:07:31 UTC 2014

Hi April,

I'm back from vacation, and available to help plan.  I've gone ahead and
made some infrastructure to help us with planning.  To start with, here's a
Trello board with a list of tasks we need to accomplish:

https://trello.com/b/74PJG2a4/claremont-fall-14

I've sent you an email invite for that.  I've also created a mailing list
and added you to it:

This will be useful as we collect volunteers and helpers, to share
information easily.  It also allows us to easily reference past emails.

Finally, I've created a google docs folder which has some useful stuff,
such as template sign up forms, template emails, etc:
https://drive.google.com/#folders/0B4HP1ey91UqPb2hPSFJoTXd0WWs

You should have received an invite for that.

There are a few different next steps to pursue:

- Publicity: We need to make a publicity website (see here for details: <
https://openhatch.org/wiki/Open_Source_Comes_to_Campus/Logistics/Publicity_Website>)
as well as come up with a list of people, departments, clubs etc to
advertise to.  We can then customize the template publicity emails for your
school and begin sending them out.

- Mentors: We should start recruiting mentors for the event.  We know a
number of folks in the LA area, and can ask them to participate.  We should
also look for people at the school and neighboring schools who are working
in open source.  It would be great to facilitate in person connections to
students who can then follow up with faculty, staff, and other students
working on open source in their communities.

- Curriculum: We should talk about how we want to integrate mapping/GIS
stuff into the event itself.  Once we figure that out, we can reach out to
GIS folks like MapBox and ask them to participate in specific ways.

best
Shauna