[Campus-bucknell-staff] curriculum for Saturday

Shauna Gordon-McKeon shaunagm at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 15:16:40 UTC 2014

Hi folks,

I wanted to chat with you about the curriculum for Saturday, and make sure
you feel ready with regard to that.

Because we've got a relatively low number of outside mentors, I think the
best way to approach the workshop is to have folks work together through
our self-guided materials. The focus can be on learning together and on
using the skills gained in the first lesson (communications tools) to reach
out for remote help where you need it.  Multiple people from OpenHatch
including myself will be available in IRC (and I'll be available by phone
if there are any issues on the logistical/organizational end).

I'd recommend the following setup:

10am-10:30
One of you presents What Is Open Source?
http://openhatch.github.io/open-source-comes-to-campus/lessons/what-is-open-source/#/
And also explains the setup for the day.

10:30-12:00

Small groups go through the following together

1) Communications Tools:
http://openhatch.github.io/open-source-comes-to-campus/lessons/comm-tools/self-guided.html#/

2) Git:
http://openhatch.org/missions/git
and/or
https://openhatch.org/wiki/Open_Source_Comes_to_Campus/Practicing_Git/Students

12:00-12:30 remote career panel

12:30-1:30 lunch

1:30 - 2:00  Finding a Project:
https://openhatch.org/wiki/Open_Source_Comes_to_Campus/Curriculum/Finding_a_Project
(Again in small groups)

2:00-5:00
Students can work on any one of these three tasks on the projects they
found in Finding a Project:

*
http://openhatch.github.io/open-source-comes-to-campus/lessons/newcomer-tasks/setup/#/
*
http://openhatch.github.io/open-source-comes-to-campus/lessons/newcomer-tasks/accessibility/#/
*
https://openhatch.org/w/index.php?title=Open_Source_Comes_to_Campus/Newcomer_Tasks/Issue_Tracker_Cleaning

Or they can work on the other curated tasks we'll have for them.

Let me know what you think.  Happy to go over any/all of this.  I'm
traveling today but can answer email and can do hangouts or IRC meetings
tomorrow or Fri if you want them.