[Campus-bucknell-staff] next steps

Shauna Gordon-McKeon shaunagm at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 15:44:29 UTC 2014

On Thu, Oct 9, 2014 at 1:14 AM, Melissa Rios <mr043 at bucknell.edu> wrote:

> Hi Shauna,
>
> I've updated the Trello board to reflect our progress.
>
> Budget is confirmed. $822.62 from Bucknell Student Government as well as
> $500 from Library and IT. The biggest portion of that will have to go
> towards food.

This is great.  I think it's unlikely that we'll need anywhere near that
much, FYI - typically events with 30-50 people cost $400-600 for food.

> We're having issues with MailChimp currently so we're just doing regular
> email for now. We should have a final flyer designed by tomorrow evening
> actually. So we'll be starting "hard" promotion then on Facebook, our
> organization network site, as well as through listservs.

This sounds good to me.

> Volunteer Recruitment: We've gotten two professors confirmed, are in the
> talks with a local developer (who would likely only be able to come after
> 2pm), a Math professor who's had lots of experience with SageMath but has
> not promised to come as well. I've been looking for others around the area
> like Peggy Fisher at Penn State or Hanna Wallach (who's really cool) but I
> don't know the likelihood of them attending.

I didn't realize Hannah Wallach was in the area!

How many student organizers do you have?  At least three, right?  So that's
at least five folks willing to take some sort of lead, which is good -
people can help each other learn, but someone needs to be willing to say
"and this is what we do next".

Let me know if folks would like to meet to go over the curriculum so they
feel more prepared for the day.

> We'll be sending emails out to Susquehanna and Bloomsburg soon as well.
>
> The proposed schedule might work better since we're lacking in official
> mentors right now.

What is the setup of the room like?  I think this schedule will work very
well for your situation, but might be harder to do in lecture-style rooms
than rooms with round tables or where you can push tables together.

> The last thing I wanted to ask because our board seems pretty divided in
> terms of what we were under the impression of happening on that day: some
> of us are under the assumption that someone from Open Hatch will be
> present. Is this true or are we going through the curriculums ourselves and
> teaching it to everyone?

The latter.  Unfortunately there are no OpenHatch volunteers near you.  I'm
the only staff member OpenHatch has, and I can't attend every event - or
most events.  But we've now had nearly a dozen schools run their own events
without an OpenHatch person present, and they seem to have gone very well.
Please let me know if there are any aspects of running the event that
you're worried about and we can go through them in as much detail as you
need.

~ Shauna