[Campus-bucknell-staff] next steps

Shauna Gordon-McKeon shaunagm at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 18:08:19 UTC 2014

Hi folks, taking a look at the Trello board
<https://trello.com/b/tlFBAAuZ/bucknell-osctc-fall-2014> this morning to
see what I can help push forward with.  We've got...

*Budget* - Last I checked this was not confirmed.  Were you able to get
funding for the event?

*Publicity* - The website is up and looks great.  We should start sending
it around! Were you going to use MailChimp for this?  Let me know if you
need my help.

*Volunteer Recruitment* - We've got people who can help remotely - students
will be able to work with us to contribute to OpenHatch, Mozilla, and more
- but as predicted it will be hard to find local volunteers.  Are there any
professors or staff at Bucknell who are already familiar with open source
and who would be interested in mentoring?  Let's make sure that we recruit
anyone we can from the school. Regardless, though, there will be a low
local mentor to student ratio. That's okay! Let's focus on making the
curriculum something that's good for individuals, pairs and/or small groups
to work through together.

*Schedule* - Which leads us to the schedule.  I'd like to propose a
slightly different structure, to fit your school's needs.  Instead of
having carefully timed presentations delivered by one person throughout the
day, it might be better to form small groups and work through self-guided
versions of the presentations together.  There could be regular breaks and
check-ins led by you organizers to make sure groups were not getting
stuck.  Then, in the afternoon, when folks are making their contributions,
they're used to working in small groups, talking to people remotely, asking
for help, etc.  Let me know if you'd like to do things this way, and I can
set up a walkthrough for you.

best
Shauna