[Campus-berkeley-staff] introductions for mentors & organizers at Berkeley

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Sun Nov 16 08:28:32 UTC 2014

Hi everyone!

I'll get to the room at ~10am, and we can figure out anything that still
needs figuring out at that point.

I was looking at the "Day Of" responsibilities doc <
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xUyd5lMSoTX3GZsleNgBQDtlwd9DNhWFJNv8i0Tmq_4/edit>,
and I had some suggestions/questions:

* Ordering food: Is someone assigned to take care of this? If not, I
nominate Alex Yang. I presume we're just doing lunch, not breakfast, as it
starts at 11:30am.

* Taking pictures: I'll bring my camera. I hope someone else will be
willing to use it, as I often forget to.

* "Introduction / Open Source Communication Tools" -- this is mostly
lecture-y, so we don't need as many mentors around during this. Having said
that, it might be a good time for mentors to be quietly working on making
sure they have a solid plan for the later, high-risk part of the day, the
"Contributions Workshop," since during the Contributions Workshop students
will be contributing to open source projects for the first time, and there
are a great number of possible stumbling blocks that can pop up.

* "Career Panel" -- we'd probably do well to have even more people willing
to be mentors for this. The idea is that students will chat with mentors in
small groups, learning more about their personal history with open source
and how it has fit into their career. It'd be nice if we could get a few
people, so we could make the small groups even smaller.

* Lunch -- we do need to make sure this gets taken care of!

* Git -- I'll bring printed copies of student & instructor handouts. I'll
work with instructors tomorrow morning to make sure we're all on the same
page. Thanks to these people for volunteering: Katy Huff, Jess Hamrick,
Min, Matt Davis, Lauren Hallet, Sebastian Benthall, Elizabeth Leddy, Nihil
(floating)

* Contributions Workshop -- thanks hugely to all the people for
volunteering on this!

Nihil, sorry that I didn't manage to meet up with you in the past couple of
days to discuss the schedule & mentor training in more depth. If you'll be
there in the morning, we can do that then.

All -- I'm looking forward to this. Thanks to everyone on this list.

-- Asheesh.