[OH-announce] OpenHatch newsletter, September 2014

Mike Linksvayer ml at openhatch.org
Wed Oct 1 03:06:31 UTC 2014

    OpenHatch newsletter, September 2014
    <http://blog.openhatch.org/2014/newsletter-september-2014/>

Deb Nicholson photo by
<http://media.fossetcon.org/u/bryan/m/img-9687/> Bryan Smith CC-BY-SA
<http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/>

Welcome to OpenHatch newsletter number 26.

It’s Open Source Comes to Campus <http://campus.openhatch.org/> season
again! In September we held our third event at CCSF
<http://ccsf.openhatch.org/> and our second at the University of
Minnesota, Morris. You can read write-ups from mentors Jim Hall
<http://opensource-usability.blogspot.com/2014/09/contributing-to-free-software.html> and Noah
Keitel
<http://noahkeitel.com/wp/an-open-source-experience-with-students-from-the-university-of-minnesota-morris/>.

In October, we’ll be running events at DePaul University
<http://depaul.openhatch.org/> in Chicago, Bucknell University
<http://launchwithopenhatch.splashthat.com/> in Lewisburg,
Pennsylvania, Claremont Graduate University
<http://cgu.openhatch.org/> in Los Angeles, SUNY Stony Brook, and the
University of Victoria. Let us know if you’d like to mentor!

Interesting recent conversations on OSCTC-planning:

  * What can we do with event signup pages after events are over?
    <http://lists.openhatch.org/pipermail/osctc-planning/2014-September/000128.html> –
    finding ways to make these pages more useful
    <http://lists.openhatch.org/pipermail/osctc-planning/2014-September/000129.html> (“It
    marks the event as (1) having happened in the past, and (2) having
    evidence of positive impact, both of which are useful — as opposed
    to having many unmaintained, minimally-varying forks of the same
    workshop materials/text/schedule over and over”).
  * What are the goals for our events, and how can we help enthusiastic
    project maintainers collaborate with us to support these goals?
    <http://lists.openhatch.org/pipermail/osctc-planning/2014-September/000133.html> –
    a detailed and important exploration by Shauna.
  * An idea for an alternative event framework
    <http://lists.openhatch.org/pipermail/osctc-planning/2014-September/000134.html>!

Attending the Grace Hopper Celebration of Women in Computing
<http://gracehopper.org/>? Come see Shauna speak at Open Source Day.
<http://gracehopper.org/2014-schedule/?subject=show_details&_year=2014&sid=2036#2036> Also
keep an eye out for the open source table topic, which will hopefully be
announced soon.

Become an Open-source Contributor Video Conference
<http://julianalouback.com/non-tech/2014/07/16/become-an-open-source-contributor/>,
a panel for women interested in open source in Israel, featuring remote
participant Shauna Gordon-McKeon of OpenHatch.

Outreach Program for Women IRC meetings
<https://wiki.gnome.org/OutreachProgramForWomen/Meetings>, again
featuring Shauna on behalf of OpenHatch.

OpenHatch board member Deb Nicholson received the O’Reilly Open Source
Award
<http://mediagoblin.org/news/deb-nicholson-oscon-award.html> (photo above).

      New projects in the OpenHatch volunteer opportunity finder

  * khmer <http://openhatch.org/projects/khmer> is “a library and suite
    of command line tools for working with DNA sequence” – see
    the homepage for more explanation
    <http://khmer.readthedocs.org/en/latest/index.html>, and check out
    the getting started page
    <http://khmer.readthedocs.org/en/latest/dev/getting-started.html> (including
    a list of low-hanging-fruit issues
    <https://github.com/ged-lab/khmer/issues?q=is%3Aopen+sort%3Acreated-desc+label%3Alow-hanging-fruit>).
  * Movie Info <http://openhatch.org/projects/Movie%20Info> takes a list
    of movies and “generates a nice looking webpage which includes a
    sortable table containing each movie’s title, cover image, etc.” The
    author says “it still requires a lot of improvement and would be
    perfect for someone starting out their ‘open-source career’ to get
    involved with.”
  * Multiverse Miner
    <http://openhatch.org/projects/Multiverse%20Miner> is a “sci-fi,
    incremental RPG” under active development for a new version. It
    encourages people interested in contributing all kinds of skills
    (including general feedback and testing) to join its chat channel
    and start participating.
  * Sanickiosk <https://openhatch.org/projects/Sanickiosk> is “a free,
    turn-key web kiosk designed for public libraries, city government,
    health clinics, and other institutions in need of public information
    stations”. It would like help with publicity and other tasks.
  * sota <https://openhatch.org/projects/sota> is “a new dynamic
    programming language borrowing from python, yaml, bash, ruby f#,
    perl and c|c#”. It would like contributors of all kinds who might be
    interested in helping with a programming language in an early stage,
    including contributing to development and publicity.
  * Xfce <https://openhatch.org/projects/Xfce> is “a lightweight desktop
    environment for UNIX-like operating systems. It aims to be fast and
    low on system resources, while still being visually appealing and
    user friendly.” It would like help with translation, documentation,
    testing, and bug triaging as well as development – see
    its contribution start page <http://docs.xfce.org/contribute/start>.

      OpenHatchy but not OpenHatch things around the web

Meg Ford on Lessons from the Women’s Resume Writing Workshop at LinuxCon
<https://www.linux.com/news/software/applications/787840-lessons-from-the-womens-resume-writing-workshop-at-linuxcon>.

Open Science Codefest
<http://nceas.github.io/open-science-codefest/program.html> “is
participant-driven, and our process will be guided by the Open Source
Project Guide: Hackathon/Sprint version.”

Julia Evans on her Strange Loop talk You can be a kernel hacker!
<http://jvns.ca/blog/2014/09/18/you-can-be-a-kernel-hacker/> and inclusiveness
at that conference <http://jvns.ca/blog/2014/09/24/strange-loop-2014/>.

Benjamin Mako Hill’s Community Data Science Workshops Post-Mortem
<http://mako.cc/copyrighteous/community-data-science-workshops-2>.

Lukas Blakk on improving visual cues for users New to Bugzilla
<http://lukasblakk.com/new-to-bugzilla/>.

Matt Micene on looking for the right open source project to contribute
to <http://opensource.com/business/14/9/jump-into-open-source-project>:
“After you do some initial research on the types of ways you can
contribute to open source projects of all kind, take time to evalute
what projects might be potential good fits for you. A great resource for
this is OpenHatch <https://openhatch.org/>—like a matchmaking service
for your skills and goals.”

Also check out links submitted to /r/openhatch
<http://www.reddit.com/r/openhatch>, and add your finds!

      Get involved

You can help write this newsletter! The October newsletter in progress
<http://htmlpad.org/oh-newsletter-201410/edit> (preview
<http://htmlpad.org/oh-newsletter-201410>). Join ourpublicity list
on #openhatch
<http://webchat.freenode.net/?nick=openhatch_....&channels=openhatch> with
suggestions and questions.

Thanks to Britta Gustafson and Shauna Gordon-McKeon for contributing to
this edition!

Read previous newsletters. <https://openhatch.org/blog/tag/newsletter>

Like <https://www.facebook.com/openhatch> +1
<https://plus.google.com/115325121477337042677>, follow @openhatch