[OH-announce] OpenHatch newsletter, September 2013

Mike Linksvayer ml at openhatch.org
Mon Sep 30 20:28:18 UTC 2013

Welcome to OpenHatch [0]newsletter number 14.

   Open source came to four different campuses in the last two weeks of
   September! Around a hundred students from over a dozen schools attended
   events hosted by IU-Bloomington, Purdue, UI-Chicago, and UMN-Morris.
   More [1]pictures, and blog posts about the events will be coming soon.

   If you want OpenHatch to come to your campus, visit
   [2]campus.openhatch.org and get in touch.

OpenHatchy but not OpenHatch things around the web

   Two bits from an [3]article on a developer panel at LinuxCon:

     Sharp got a round of applause when she said she hopes for a more
     welcoming environment to newcomers. 'I'd like to make sure our
     community is inclusive to all people that want to contribute,' she
     said. 'Getting more diversity, getting more diverse voices in our
     community is something I'd like to see.' Earlier in the discussion,
     panel members talked about some programs designed to mentor new
     developers, including one program specifically for women. They'd
     like new developers to become frequent contributors instead of just
     contributing one patch before stopping.

   Indeed.

     Although kernel development can be intimidating because of how big
     and complicated the project is, Kroah-Hartman noted that recently a
     professor in the Czech Republic required a classroom of students to
     get patches merged into the kernel. A few of them liked the process
     so much they said they'd keep contributing, he said.

   Excellent! If anyone knows of information online about this class,
   we'll link to it in a future post. This professor's method reminds of
   [4]courses that assign contributing to Wikipedia. Introducing students
   to contributing to open collaborative projects, code and otherwise, in
   a structured class setting could be a great way to enable much more
   diverse participation.

   [5]Haskell Symposium program chair report:

     First, it's high time we learned from those people who did not find
     the Haskell community a welcoming place. If you were excluded, or if
     you know someone who was, please share your stories. Of course you
     don't have any obligation to do anything, but out of the goodness of
     your hearts, please be our teacher. Please contact me, at
     ccshan at indiana.edu. I'm getting help from some cultural
     anthropologists at Indiana University. If you know about
     anthropology at Indiana, you'll know that these are professionals
     who really know how to learn from and respect your individual
     experiences and perspectives. We're going to conduct interviews and
     anonymize them. Then, I'm not sure what we'll do with the interviews
     ' maybe they'll become a SIGPLAN Notices article, or a theatrical
     play, or a shared resource if the interviewees are willing. In any
     case, the goal is to strengthen our empathy for each other, to
     understand our different perspectives on our shared community, and
     to open conversations about this important topic.

   [6]Quim Gil:

     The current round of Google Summer of Code & FLOSS Outreach Program
     for Women is about to end, and it's time to start a new cycle of
     mentored projects in Wikimedia tech.

   David Pollak on the [7]Strange Loop conference:

     Supporting [8]women in tech is an important goal for me. It wasmost
     impressed by [9]Alex Miller's success in recruiting
     [10]w[11]o[12]m[13]e[14]n
     [15]p[16]r[17]e[18]s[19]e[20]n[21]t[22]e[23]r[24]s (yes, each letter
     is a separate link to a separate presentation) as well as
     [25]DevChix.

     I graduated law school in 1991 and my class was > 40% women. I've
     seenhow the women from law classes in the early 90s have improved
     theway lawyering is delivered because more smart, engaged people
     leads to better results. In tech, we are at the beginning of the
     processand the way that Alex Miller is enhancing the tech world
     bymaking women an integral part of Strange Loop deserves my
     highestpraise and thanks!

   CIO.com article [26]Open Source Career Opportunities Continue to
   Abound:

     Whatever industry you're in, if you're an open source developer, it
     seems the market's wide open. 'Open source is everywhere, and we
     don't see this market slowing down any time soon,' says Goli.

   Not the typical OpenHatchy link, but the implication is clear:
   diversity in open source communities is not only crucial to the health
   of those communities, but to the computing industry, economy, and
   sociey at large.

   Also check out links submitted to [27]/r/openhatch, and add your finds!

Get involved

   You can help write this newsletter! The October newsletter will be
   edited at [28]htmlpad may be [29]previewed there as well. Join our
   [30]publicity list or hop on #openhatch with suggestions and questions.

   [31]Read previous newsletters.

   [32]Like [33]+1, follow @openhatch at [34]identi.ca or [35]Twitter.