[OH-announce] OpenHatch newsletter, October 2013

Mike Linksvayer ml at openhatch.org
Thu Oct 31 20:06:47 UTC 2013

Welcome to OpenHatch [0]newsletter number 15.

   For Ada Lovelace Day, we [1]profiled 5 of the women who have helped us
   organize and run our Open Source Comes to Campus (OSCTC) events.

   Reports on two recent OSCTC events: [2]Indiana University and [3]Purdue
   University, and another excellent [4]Infrequently Asked Questions about
   open source post based on actual discussion with students at the
   Indiana University event.

   [5]Photos from several OSCTC events.

   We have lots of OSCTC materials in a [6]git repository. Report or help
   resolve an OSCTC [7]issue.

New projects in the OpenHatch volunteer opportunity finder

     * [8]arkOS, "a project to help users self-host their websites, email,
       files and more".
     * [9]Navit, "a crossplatform and modular opensource navigation
       system, using OpenStreetMap for offline routing".

Behind the scenes

   We held a release planning meeting on October 8 on IRC, and we followed
   that up with a new idea: holding "office hours", a scheduled informal
   check-in on IRC once a week so that multiple contributors are likely to
   be online at the same time. This was fun, and it turned out to be a
   good chance for potential new contributors to talk about their ideas
   and ask questions. We'll keep announcing these meetings on the
   [10]devel mailing list for anyone interested.

OpenHatchy but not OpenHatch things around the web

   Thoughtful post by Kaia Dekker on the [11]XOXO conference and
   diversity, including a "wishlist of eleven men of color and women that
   I would love to see at XOXO next year, or really, see at any
   tech/arts/maker conference I go to." We're tickled to read the first
   name on that list:

     Asheesh Laroia is a coder and co-founder of Open Hatch, an
     organization that helps people learn to create and contribute to
     open source and collaborative software projects.

   Dale Harvey on [12]problems getting started in open source.

   Also check out links submitted to [13]/r/openhatch, and add your finds!

Get involved

   You can help write this newsletter! The November newsletter will be
   edited at [14]htmlpad may be [15]previewed there as well. Join our
   [16]publicity list or hop on #openhatch with suggestions and questions.

   Thanks to Britta Gustafson for contributing to this edition!

   [17]Read previous newsletters.

   [18]Like [19]+1, follow @openhatch at [20]identi.ca or [21]Twitter.