[OH-announce] OpenHatch newsletter, May 2013

Mike Linksvayer ml at openhatch.org
Fri May 31 21:36:06 UTC 2013

   Welcome to OpenHatch [0]newsletter number 10.

   Starting this month, as a way to indicate what we have in common, and
   to encourage organizers to have more conversations with each other,
   weâre inviting outreach events to flock together as
   OpenHatch-affiliated events. Read more about our first batch of
   [1]affiliated events and the history that created the principles behind
   them. If you run a newcomer-friendly tech event, consider joining the
   flock!

   We had a really fun and successful PyCon; [2]read all about it (you can
   watch the Scaling Community Diversity Outreach talk there too!).

   [3]Infrequently Asked Questions:

     At each Open Source Comes to Campus event, participants ask unique,
     thought-provoking questions. We decided to write down these
     questions and answer them more fully on our blog.

   OpenHatch ran a workshop [4]at UMass Amherst. 32 participants made
   contributions to HexBog, the OpenHatch website, JMonkey Engine,
   BitCoin, PsychoPy, K-9, and GNOME Shell.

   We re-designed the [5]Events mailing list info page; we think itâs now
   the snazziest, [6]bootstrap-iest Mailman list info page in the world!

    OSCON and Open Source Bridge talks by OpenHatchers

   This summer in Portland, the community-run [7]Open Source Bridge
   conference brings people together in June, and the enormous [8]OSCON
   does the same in July.

   At Open Source Bridge, weâll be [9]training the trainers and talking
   about [10]quantitative community management. Check out the entire list
   of [11]exciting talks, and especially the [12]diversity in open source
   panel!

   At OSCON, Asheesh is leading a session on [13]Quantitative Community
   Management and also giving a technical talk on [14]Scrapy. Benetechâs
   SocialCoding4Good will have a booth at the non-profit Pavilion, and
   Asheesh will be there as well. Stop by!

  OpenHatchy but not OpenHatch things around the web

   [15]Women in Free Software & Culture in India online community
   launched.

   On Mozilla Hacks blog, [16]How to Spread The Word About Your Code does
   not cover (do we have a link?) how to make your project welcoming to
   new contributors, but it complements our advice nicely: if nobody ever
   hears of your project, there will be nobody to be feel welcome.

   Nik Molnar blogs [17]New Contributor? Jump In! encouraging open source
   projects to tag bugs that are good for new contributors; in comments
   many projects doing variations on this practice are noted, including
   one from Josh Matthews: âIf you arenât familiar with OpenHatch, I think
   youâre in for a deightful surprise.â We hope so! But it is also a
   delightful surprise to see independent invention and implementation of
   a great idea.

   Valorie Zimmerman blogs [18]Tea and cookies for your new team members
   on welcoming contributors to KDE projects.

   [19]Open Source Career Taster Days happened this month in London: âA
   series of three one day workshops for women returners aimed at raising
   awareness of Open Source development as a dual skillset or second
   career.â

  Get involved

   Read about our new [20]affiliated events designation, and join our
   [21]Events mailing list to think about how you can plan your own!

   [22]Read previous newsletters.

   [23]Like, follow @openhatch at [24]identi.ca or [25]Twitter.