[OH-announce] OpenHatch newsletter, March 2013

Mike Linksvayer ml at openhatch.org
Wed Mar 27 15:48:22 UTC 2013

Welcome to OpenHatch [0]newsletter number 8.

   PyCon PyCon PyCon. We were [2]very active, and pending a big update,
   check out our [3]poetry and all the [4]conference videos. Especially
   check out [5]Scaling community diversity outreach.

   Sheila Miguez writes about [6]dealing with the uncomfortable, in a
   women-and-their-friends event:

     Hello everyone! Iâve helped run two Chicago Python Workshops in
     Chicago, and I wanted to explain how we handled a problem that
     started in the first workshop. Asheesh was a great mentor, and
     helped me handle a difficult situation, and it led to a [7]new
     section in the OpenHatch wiki.

   We've continued to add more to the Events section of the OpenHatch
   wiki. Thanks to discussion on the Events mailing list, we have some
   tips for [8]how to run the closing (AKA wrap-up) portion of your next
   outreach event. As always, if you are interested in outreach events for
   your free software project or programming user group, [9]hop on the
   list!

   On Saturday, April 6, the Open Source Comes to Campus For Women in
   Computing visits Wellesley College. You can learn more at
   [10]wellesley.openhatch.org. And if you live in the Boston area and
   want to volunteer to teach or TA or sponsor, please get in touch by
   emailing hello at openhatch.org!

   It is also the first of the revised signup pages for Open Source Comes
   to Campus events. Thanks to great tips from Michael Stone on how to
   make it more appealing, and to Asheesh Laroia and Shauna Gordon-McKeon
   for building the new design. So even if you can't attend, [11]check out
   the event web page!

   On Thursday, April 11, we'll be presenting at a [12]Wikimedia Tech
   Meetup about [13]Open Source Comes to Campus. The event's theme is
   students, and the internships and special opportunities to get involved
   in open source that are available to them. RSVP and come visit!

OpenHatchy but not OpenHatch things around the web

   Sumana Harihareswara shared a [14]moving story of above-and-beyond
   hospitality to newbies on the events list:

     I especially appreciate that Pradeepto Bhattacharya personally took
     it upon himself to stop newbie attrition at the event. My Indian
     parents taught me a heritage of hospitality, as I remembered in "Be
     Bold: An Origin Story". So this kind of heroism, the heroism of the
     host, speaks deeply to me.

   Garrett LeSage writes [15]âPatches acceptedâ is harmful: How to improve
   your volunteer introductions.

   Emily Gonyer asks [16]Why arenât we promoting FOSS to kids? (emphasis
   added):

     We ought to begin advertising our desire to teach them to use and
     contribute to free software, along with its benefits.

   Your editor's [17]little bit of praise for [18]Mozilla's good first
   bug/mentored bug practices.

   Prior to his illegal arrest in Syria one year ago, Bassel Khartibil
   introduced many in the Middle East to contributing to free software via
   workshops and hackerspaces. While OpenHatch struggles to make free
   software communities welcoming and accessible, Bassel's imprisonment is
   a reminder of our relatively privileged position. [19]Free Bassel now!

Get involved

   Asheesh's raw thoughts on how we can improve [20]Open Source Comes To
   Campus and other events encouraging first contributions to open source
   projects. What's your feedback and experience?

   [21]Read previous newsletters.

   [22]Like, follow @openhatch at [23]identi.ca or [24]Twitter.