[OH-announce] OpenHatch newsletter, June 2013

Mike Linksvayer ml at openhatch.org
Fri Jun 28 20:51:26 UTC 2013

Welcome to OpenHatch [0]newsletter number 11.

   [1]PSF funds OpenHatch to reach out to and help Python user groups:

     Are you a Python user group organizer or member? Do you want more
     people, and a more diverse set of people, to show up to your user
     group events? Email us at hello at openhatch.org! The Python Software
     Foundation and open source outreach nonprofit OpenHatch want to
     help.

   Our 10th Open Source Comes to Campus event was held June 22nd [2]at
   Northeastern University:

     Thanks to our our Northeastern hosts, who opened their doors to area
     students, we had sign ups from almost a dozen additional schools,
     including: Boston University, UMass Boston, Wellesley, Harvard, MIT,
     Brandeis, Babson, Mt Holyoke, Colby and even students from
     CSU-Sacramento and Valencia College in Florida.

   July 29 OSCtC will be at [3]City College of San Francisco.

   Another set of very interesting but Infrequently Asked Questions, these
   from [4]UMass Amherst Open Source Comes to Campus.

   Our Executive Director Asheesh Laroia gave multiple talkes at Open
   Source Bridge earlier this month. See his [5]speaker's page for a list,
   and materials from previous years.

   OpenHatch's Shauna Gordon-McKeon and Karen Rustad attended [6]AdaCamp,
   a two-day unconference for women in open technology and culture. Shauna
   attended with the help of a travel scholarship graciously provided by
   the Ada Initiative. She led a workshop on contributing to open source
   projects, attended sessions on open science, open government, and
   teaching open source, and generally had a blast meeting tons of smart,
   passionate women involved in open culture.

   In July at OSCON Asheesh Laroia will be giving a [7]talk on
   quantitative community management, and another on web scraping.

OpenHatchy but not OpenHatch things around the web

   Sarah Sharp updates on the Outreach Program for Women [8]Linux Kernel
   Internships:

     A month ago, Amanda McPherson and Greg Kroah-Hartman from the Linux
     Foundation asked me to coordinate an internship program aimed at
     getting more women to participate in the Linux kernel. In order to
     be considered for an internship, the applicants need to submit
     patches to the Linux kernel, and get them accepted. The results have
     been amazing: 41 women applied for 6 Linux kernel internships. In 13
     days, 374 patches were submitted, and 137 patches were accepted.

   Emily O'Leary on [9]Inclusivity in Free Software, with good examples to
   follow.

   Applications for [10]2014 Code for America Fellowships are due July 31.
   A great opportunity to learn and teach about open source in government.

Get involved

   You can help write this newsletter! The July newsletter will be edited
   at [11]htmlpad may be [12]previewed there as well. Join our
   [13]publicity list or hop on #openhatch with suggestions and questions.

   [14]Read previous newsletters.

   [15]Like, follow @openhatch at [16]identi.ca or [17]Twitter.