[OH-announce] OpenHatch newsletter, July 2013

Mike Linksvayer ml at openhatch.org
Tue Jul 30 19:14:40 UTC 2013

Welcome to OpenHatch newsletter number 12

   Thoughts after our Open Source comes to City College of San Francisco
   event: [1]Making Open Source Comes to Campus even more hands-on.

   Asheesh Laroia will give a talk at Debconf on [2]How other FLOSS
   communities mentor and what it means for Debian as part of the
   [3]community outreach track. You can also check out the slides from
   Asheesh's OSCON talks, one on [4]scrapy and another entitled
   [5]Quantitative Community Management.

   At OSCON, Britta Gustafson joined the team of people answering emails
   to hello at openhatch.org, and independently, Courtney Thurston submitted
   her first pull request (which was merged and deployed). Welcome to both
   of them!

   Through Google Summer of Code, Tarashish Mistra is working on making
   the training missions easier to edit on the web. You can track his
   progress on his [6]GSoC blog. David Lu also joins us this summer to
   create new mentor-mentee tracking tools. You can read more on the
   [7]Greenhouse project website and his [8]GSoC blog.

   You can help write this newsletter (see "Get Involved" below). Or if
   submitting links is your thing, submit away at [9]/r/OpenHatch.

OpenHatchy but not OpenHatch things around the web

   [10]GUADEC 2013, August 1-4 in Brno, includes five sessions directly
   concerning outreach and welcoming newcomers.

   Akademy 2013 happened earlier this month and featured a talk on
   [11]welcoming newcomers in India and lightning talks [12]by
   participants in summer programs, including the Outreach Program for
   Women.

   Outreach Program for Women has a [13]new site. The program has 37
   participants this northern summer.

   John Riedl died of cancer recently. The [14]Wikimedia blog has a
   remembrance that includes links to his research on diversity and open
   collaboration.

   Fiona Cullinan writes up a negative result in [15]Female programming
   dream thatâs gone off the Rails:

     If I learned anything that day itâs the truth of âthose who can do,
     canât necessarily teachâ and the expectation the event engendered of
     beginners being able to code in a day left me feeling bruised. I
     came out upset and unsure of whether to continue â which is the very
     opposite of the outcomes those running the event were trying to
     achieve.

   (Folks who can do, and want to teach beginners, join the [16]OpenHatch
   events list and we can help each other avoid common pitfalls and
   improve together when they occur.)

   If contributing to a project for a first-time contributor to open
   source is difficult, it'll often also be difficult for a long-time
   contributor to open source but first-time contributor to the project.
   Karl Fogel writes about a technial barrier to first-time contribution
   that deterred him years ago, and joy at seeing a project fix that:
   [17]Credit where credit is due: LibreOffice is now ridiculously easy to
   build.

   Documentation is another great way to make free software better; to get
   intensively involved, check out the [18]2013 Doc Camp Call for
   Proposals.

Get involved

   You can help write this newsletter! The August newsletter will be
   edited at [19]htmlpad may be [20]previewed there as well. Join our
   [21]publicity list or hop on #openhatch with suggestions and questions.

   [22]Read previous newsletters.

   [23]Like, follow @openhatch at [24]identi.ca or [25]Twitter.