[OH-announce] OpenHatch newsletter, August 2013

Mike Linksvayer ml at openhatch.org
Sat Aug 31 15:22:53 UTC 2013

Welcome to OpenHatch [0]newsletter number 13.

   [1]Thanking our Open Source Comes to Campus sponsors for the past year:

     OpenHatch is lucky to be supported by organizations and people who
     believe in our mission of growing the open source community through
     active outreach. We're taking this moment, halfway into the year, to
     share our gratitude for the companies that have made that work
     possible.

   These companies include Puppet Labs, Stripe, 10gen, Google, OmniTI,
   Dreamwidth Studios, Rackspace, Kitware, and Nokia. Please help more
   join them! See our [2]sponsor prospectus, and send an email to
   hello at openhatch.org!

New projects in the OpenHatch volunteer opportunity finder

   We're constantly adding new projects to our [3]volunteer opportunity
   finder. Two recent additions:
     * [4]CityGenerator, "a tool for generating a setting for Fantasy
       Roleplaying games", links to [5]a wonderfully detailed list of ways
       to contribute for both developers and non-developers.
     * [6]MCServer, an open source Minecraft server with "better
       performance than vanilla", would love some help updating its wiki.
       Here is also an [7]interesting Reddit thread with suggestions for
       inviting new contributors to that project.

Behind the scenes

   On August 8, we had a release planning meeting led by IShadowed on IRC,
   discussing some development goals for the month. Here are [8]minutes
   from that meeting. If you're interested in helping, we'll announce the
   next meeting on the [9]devel mailing list (and quiet lurkers are also
   welcome to join and listen in on meetings).

   New [10]mailing list for detailed Open Source Comes to Campus event
   planning, which was previously done mostly via private emails. Our
   [11]events list is still the go-to place for discussing and sharing
   lessons and questions on running outreach events!

OpenHatchy but not OpenHatch things around the web

   "[12]18% of attendees and 21% of speakers at #GUADEC are women! We are
   working hard to extend the openness of our community to more people."

   [13]So, You Want to Run a Young Coders Class? by Katie Cunningham has
   lots of great detail on doing just that, pointed out [14]by Sumana
   Harihareswara.

   Read several good links submitted to [15]/r/openhatch and submit
   OpenHatchy links you find. One just submitted: [16]Interview with Alex
   "Skud" Bayley, founder of Growstuff and social justice activist:

     If technology is going to change the world for the better, it has to
     involve all kinds of people. That doesnât happen by accident. You
     have to work at it.

   Also, thanks to the moderators of [17]/r/opensource for [18]adding
   OpenHatch to the sidebar of that popular reddit.

Get involved

   You can help write this newsletter! The September newsletter will be
   edited at [19]htmlpad may be [20]previewed there as well. Join our
   [21]publicity list or hop on #openhatch with suggestions and questions.

   Thanks to Britta Gustafson for contributing to this edition!

   [22]Read previous newsletters.

   [23]Like, follow @openhatch at [24]identi.ca or [25]Twitter.