[OH-announce] OpenHatch newsletter, April 2013

Mike Linksvayer ml at gondwanaland.com
Tue Apr 30 23:21:39 UTC 2013

Welcome to OpenHatch [0]newsletter number 9.

   OpenHatch ED Asheesh Laroia explains why we do what we do [1]on his
   personal blog.

   OpenHatch will be at [2]Transparency Camp May 4-5 in Washington DC, to
   help open government-oriented open source projects build stronger
   communities.

   [3]Our biggest/littlest fan:

     Justin King is eleven years old. He stood on a box to address a room
     mostly full of kids and parents â the podium was a bit too tall for
     him. He gave a whirlwind talk describing how anyone can get involved
     in open source at any age. He personally likes shell scripting and
     making short animations in Blender. He recommends asking questions,
     but reminds the young audience to never give out their phone number
     when contacting people on the internet. He also recommends OpenHatch
     as a resource for folks who are new to free and open source
     software.

   On Saturday, April 6, our Open Source Comes to Campus For Women in
   Computing program [4]visited Wellesley College.

   On Thursday, April 11, OpenHatch presented at the [5]Wikimedia Tech
   Meetup about [6]Open Source Comes to Campus.

   On Sunday, April 14, Open Source Comes to Campus visited [7]UMass
   Amherst.

   Dana Bauer has an excellent writeup [8]of PyStar Philly, an
   [9]affiliated event, celebrating five (and counting) Python workshops
   for women in Philadelphia
   — 140 graduates!

OpenHatchy but not OpenHatch things around the web

   On the OpenHatch events list, [10]Jennifer Mylo:

     At WordPress, I’m just starting a new diversity workshop initiative
     ([11]pilot planning) that is beginning with a focus on women, but is
     going to hit socioeconomic (with a splash of race) next, by trying
     to partner with less exclusive colleges as you suggest.

   Luke W. Faraone on [12]teaching free/open source to high school
   students:

     The class was broken up into three segments: 1. Lecture on a brief
     history of open source and the free software movement 2. Small
     research project on an open source project 3. Lab where students
     could work through OpenHatch’s training missions

   Marina Zhurakhinskaya writes about [13]increasing participation of
   women in Free and Open Source Software , including the GNOME
   Foundation’s Outreach Program for Women. Also see [14]video of a
   presentation by Karen Sandler on the same topics at the Linux
   Collaboration Summit.

Get involved

   This summer, you can help contribute to the OpenHatch web code through
   a Google-sponsored paid internship program. Check out our [15]ideas
   page! Thanks to the Python Software Foundation for putting us under
   their [16]umbrella. Pay attention to the [17]deadlines and [18]get in
   touch soon!

   [19]Read previous newsletters.

   [20]Like, follow @openhatch at [21]identi.ca or [22]Twitter.