[OH-announce] OpenHatch newsletter, September 2012

Mike Linksvayer ml at openhatch.org
Wed Sep 5 16:50:37 UTC 2012

 Welcome to the 2nd OpenHatch [0]newsletter!

 We met our first fundraising goal as a non-profit organization!
 [1]Thank you Google, Wikimedia, and an anonymous donor, who said:

   Open source has opened doors for me continuously for more than a
   decade. With open source, I have touched the lives of millions. I
   believe and hope that helping OpenHatch will help to open similar
   doors for many others.

 Congratulations to OpenHatch board member Jessica McKellar for being
 selected as a [2]keynote speaker for PyCon 2013!

Fall 2012 Open Source Comes to Campus is ramping up!

 We're working with college computer clubs to make open source
 collaboration a part of students' fall semester through a program
 called [3]Open Source Comes to Campus. Our next event is in Baltimore,
 MD, the weekend of September 15. [4]We're looking for more campuses,
 staffers, and sponsors for the fall 2012 series.

 We've also been testing the curriculum, which resulted in a [5]first
 patch by a new contributor to WordPress!

Code changes on the website

 In this month, in [6]the website and [7]bug importers, we've:
   * Fixed a couple of escaping-related bugs related to cross-site
     scripting, reported by a friendly (if mysterious) anonymous person.
   * Improved [8]documentation, with thanks to Jessica McKellar for
     reporting an issue, and Asheesh Laroia, Daniel Mizyrycki, and
     Adrian Ancona for writing more docs.
   * At a [9]sprint, Karen Rustad and Asheesh Laroia laid the groundwork
     for moving much OpenHatch JS code to the Backbone.js library,
     including adding the first [10]RESTful API.
   * Emilien Klein fixed a bug where editing one's list of projects was
     not working (thanks to Sarah Sharp for reporting). This is
     Emilien's first contribution; thank you!
   * The bug importers gained a command line interface, which should
     make testing it much simpler.
   * A special thanks to John Morrissey and Mark Holmquist for code
     review.

 As you can see, there's plenty of opportunity for frontend
 (JS/CSS/HTML) and backend (Python, scrapy, Django) coding in the
 OpenHatch web app. New people are [11]always welcome!

Event wrapups

 Jessica McKellar wrote up Boston Python's first [12]Intermediate Python
 Workshop. Read for lots of detail. One feedback quote to illustrate
 outcomes:

   Thank you all so much for holding these workshops, more than
   anything I've tried they really motivate me to actually work on
   learning something new on my own time. Thank you thank you thank
   you!!

 Karen Rustad spoke on "Learn to contribute to Open Source!" [13]at SF
 PyLadies along with longtime Django committers Jeremy Dunck and Alex
 Gaynor (incidentally, Alex helped us organize an Open Source Comes to
 Campus event last year at his alma mater, Rensselaer Polytechnic).

 Asheesh and Karen presented [14]Open Source Community Growth as a User
 Experience Problem at OSCON.

 Join the [15]events mailing list to share your experiences and get help
 with making your events beginnger-friendly.

Get involved

 Back in June Adrian Ancona wrote a [16]nice blog post about beginning
 to contribute to OpenHatch's website code -- a [17]contribution which
 is now [18]live.

 [19]Read the first newsletter.

 [20]Like, follow @openhatch at [21]identi.ca or [22]Twitter.