[OH-announce] OpenHatch newsletter, October 2012

Mike Linksvayer ml at openhatch.org
Wed Oct 3 17:22:27 UTC 2012

 Welcome to the 3rd OpenHatch newsletter!

 FLOSS Weekly [1]interviewed Jessica McKellar about the Twisted project,
 and about welcoming newcomers and increasing diversity in open source
 projects. Co-host Dan Lynch asks specifically about OpenHatch at 28
 minutes in. The whole show is excellent!

Fall 2012 Open Source Comes to Campus is underway

 OpenHatch ran a [2]workshop at Johns Hopkins University in
 mid-September. A full report is forthcoming on the blog.

 We're [3]running a workshop at the Association for Computing Machinery
 at the University of Illinois' 18th annual computing conference on
 October 5-7, 2012.

 Asheesh also delivered a [4]talk at San Francisco State University,
 focusing on community communication skills.

Event wrapups

 Daniel Choi, a member of the Events list, contributes an [5]amazing
 analysis of bringing more women into the Boston Ruby community, full of
 data and anecdote!

 Yours here!

 Join the [6]events mailing list to share your experiences and get help
 with making your events beginner-friendly.

OpenHatchy but not OpenHatch things around the web

 Glyn Moody concludes in [7]Learning from Diaspora (page 2):

   The open source world does many things brilliantly, but one thing it
   does badly is planning for leadership succession. This was the case
   over a decade ago, when I explored the area in "Rebel Code", my
   early history of the free software world. Worryingly, little has
   changed since then. Even the nurturing of new coders remains a very
   hit-and-miss affair - the only large-scale, organised attempt to
   bring new people into the world of open source is Google's Summer of
   Code.

   At the very least the current developments in the case of Diaspora
   are a reminder that free software is not doing enough to bring in
   new coding talent - especially women - or to think ahead in terms of
   passing on command. If these are not addressed, many other projects
   could be affected and afflicted with the kind of transition problems
   we are now seeing with Diaspora, especially as more of the key
   hackers pass into middle age and beyond, and begin to think about
   moving on.

 Dave Neary on [8]first contribution speed bumps:

   I want to make clear - I am not picking on MediaWiki here. I rate
   the project well above average in the speed and friendliness with
   which I was helped at every turn. But they, like every project, have
   adopted tools to make it easier for regular contributors, and to
   help ensure that no patches get dropped on the floor because of poor
   processes. Here's the $64,000 question: are the tools and processes
   which make it easier for regular contributors making it harder for
   first-time contributors?

 [9]Open hatch sank Port Authority's $500G boat:

   A $500,000 Port Authority patrol boat sank this month after a
   veteran police sergeant took the advice of a clueless civilian
   safety instructor - and opened a hatch while it was under water, The
   Post has learned.

Get involved

 The [10]OpenHatch wiki needs some love. Especially if you're an
 experienced contributor to other wikis, be bold!

 [11]Read previous newsletters.

 [12]Like, follow @openhatch at [13]identi.ca or [14]Twitter.