[OH-announce] OpenHatch newsletter, August 2012

Mike Linksvayer ml at openhatch.org
Fri Aug 3 22:52:06 UTC 2012

OpenHatch newsletter, August 2012
============================
 plain text below, pretty pictures at
https://openhatch.org/blog/2012/openhatch-newsletter-august-2012/

A year ago the OpenHatch blog announced three big
changes: transition to nonprofit status, outreach
events, and Asheesh Laroia as full-time project lead.
https://openhatch.org/blog/2011/openhatch-gains-full-time-project-lead-transitioning-into-a-non-profit/

Since then, Asheesh and a large number of OpenHatch contributors have
been very busy. Browse or subscribe to http://openhatch.org/blog and
http://identi.ca/openhatch or http://twitter.com/openhatch to see and
keep up to date. Or, with a little more latency, read this newsletter
(you’re reading the first issue now): mail [un]subscription
at http://lists.openhatch.org/mailman/listinfo/announce or
browse/subscribe to http://openhatch.org/blog/tag/newsletter

### OpenHatch ideas spreading

    “Jessica [McKellar] and Asheesh’s presentation changed
    our whole outlook on what is possible for the Boston Ruby
    community. In 40 minutes, they opened our eyes to how we were
    stunting ourselves as a community and excited us by laying out such
    a clear, practical, and feasible outreach strategy that we could
    follow to change things dramatically in a short period of time.”
    –Daniel Choi of Boston Ruby
    https://openhatch.org/blog/2012/the-steps-boston-ruby-is-taking-to-become-friendly-to-beginners/

Watch Jessica and Asheesh’s presentation at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrITN6GZDu4
with further presentation background at
https://openhatch.org/blog/2012/the-boston-python-workshop-at-pycon-2012/

### Events

At PyCon 2012 (venue for above presentation)
10 people worked on OpenHatch tools
https://openhatch.org/blog/2012/ten-contributors-hacked-oh-during-pycon-sprints/

OpenHatch again sprinted in May, also thanks to Python Software
Foundation support https://openhatch.org/blog/2012/may-sprint/

Our most recent campus event was at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
https://openhatch.org/blog/2012/openhatch-goes-to-rpi-concluding-our-spring-2012-university-tour/
with special thanks to the Rensselaer Center for Open Source, Kitware,
and Nokia.

We’re currently scheduling 2012-2013 academic year campus events;
see http://campus.openhatch.org/upcoming-events/ to have OpenHatch
visit your campus!

July 10-11 OpenHatch helped run the two-day hackathon at Wikimania
https://wikimania2012.wikimedia.org/wiki/Hackathon

### Get involved

https://openhatch.org/wiki/Get_involved lists some ways to get directly
involved in OpenHatch, from helping newcomers to working on OpenHatch
tools to organizing an OpenHatch event to donating to support our
work … https://openhatch.org/donate/ comes with the non-profit
organization territory. You can also use https://openhatch.org/search/
to find volunteer opportunities with 309 different open source
projects, including “bite-sized” bugs. Every form of involvement
is deeply appreciated and welcomed.

Finally, thanks to rsync.net for an ongoing in-kind donation
https://openhatch.org/blog/2012/thanking-rsync-net-for-donated-backup-space/