[WMF-outreach-staff] Laptop setup progressing well

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Sun Jul 8 07:29:27 UTC 2012

There are now 10 steps, all of which are documented and tested for at
least one OS:

* Goal #1: install an IRC client
* Goal #2: practice navigating from the command line
* Goal #3: install git
* Goal #4: prepare SSH
* Goal #5: Request a Gerrit account
* Goal #6: set up Python
* Goal #7: Install git-review
* Goal #8: Install a web server that can run PHP
* Goal #9: Install MediaWiki into that web server
* Goal #10: practice using a plain text editor

This includes Windows setup instructions for git-review. Booyah! (-:

Anything else that people can think of that should be added?

I can do further writing + testing, but here are some "ports" I would
appreciate:

* "Port" the "Install a web server that can run PHP" to Mac OS. I would
suggest trying this with MAMP 1.9.6.1 since it's the most compatible with
earlier versions of Mac OS. (Sheila and John, I think, are on top of
this.)

* "Port" the "Install MediaWiki onto that server" to instructions Mac OS.
(Probably best if that's the same person as above.)

* "Port" the "Install git-review" instructions to Mac OS.

* Review, all-around, is quite welcome.

* Again -- are there other topics that should be added?

The idea is that non-tech people will just do step 1, to get on IRC, and
other more technical people should just do the whole list of things so
they're totally prepared. Anyone, actually, can do all the steps; they're
written to target total newcomers.

-- Asheesh.