[WMF-outreach-staff] Who wants to run a Git/Gerrit tutorial?

Sumana Harihareswara sumanah at wikimedia.org
Sat Jul 7 04:40:56 UTC 2012

On 07/06/2012 11:37 PM, Roan Kattouw wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 7:10 PM, Asheesh Laroia <lists at asheesh.org> wrote:
>> Also, are there individual laptop setup steps that we can optimize? For
>> example, are there elements of "Setting up Git" that people should do before
>> the tutorial?
>>
> Sumana (who is on the mailing list I presume) reached out to
> participants prior to the tutorial to make sure they'd all applied for
> a Gerrit account, and encouraged them to clone the repository (it's a
> 100 MB clone, you don't want everyone to do that at the same time on
> the conference wifi), and at least try to install git-review.
>
> For the actual tutorial, they used one of the test/example
> repositories (she or Patrick will be able to tell you which one, or
> you can look at the logs for that day) which is much much smaller than
> the MW core repo and therefore doesn't take much time and bandwidth to
> clone.

I actually only told them to apply for a Gerrit account.  I don't recall
encouraging participants to do the clone or the git-review installation
ahead of time, partly because people usually need help getting to that
point.

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Git/Tutorial#Download_MediaWiki_example_extension_using_Git
mentions the example installation.

Probably https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Git/Tutorial#How_we_review_code .

>>> Maybe a "How do I?" session after the tutorial is over? There's bound
>>> to be lots of questions of that nature.
>>

>> That sounds great. (Did you folks do that in Berlin? What was the Q&A
>> duration like?)
>>
> Sounds like a good idea. Re Berlin, I don't know; Chad wasn't in
> Berlin, and I wasn't able to attend any of the git tutorials because I
> was giving other tutorials the whole time.
>
> Roan

There's a full video of one of the 2 Git sessions from Berlin up at
http://vimeo.com/45061944 in case you want to hear.  People had many
questions and problems that needed troubleshooting, and they spoke up
throughout the presentation.

--
Sumana Harihareswara
Engineering Community Manager