[OSCTC-planning] creating an osctc-users list to complement this one

Pariksheet Nanda pariksheet.nanda at uconn.edu
Thu Oct 23 04:57:25 UTC 2014

On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 6:49 PM, Shauna Gordon-McKeon
<shaunagm at gmail.com> wrote:

> Unfortunately, mailman does not do archives well, at least in its current
> incarnation.

In regard to working with your existing mailman lists:

The mailman default of archiving into months makes it difficult to
browse but archiving as years instead (especially for lower volume
lists) makes it easy to see e-mails at a glance.  It doesn't change
the frequency of updates, just the file size when downloading list
text archives.

Probably the canonical way to browse is downloading the archives with
wget and search through the gzipped files.

<shaunagm at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been meaning to try Discourse!  Maybe this is a good fit.  What's your
> experience been with getting forum posts as mail? That's a pretty important
> feature for this use case, I think...

Nabble works as an archiver and forum <-> mailing list interface like
discourse (though I wasn't familiar with discourse till this thread).

There are some minor issues with nabble's forum <-> mailing list interfaces:

1) Changing the subject in the forum thread breaks the e-mail thread
on the mailing list, and makes it hard to follow the e-mail trail
(this could be solved by disabling)

2) One one occasion a user edited a post to be much more different
from the e-mail sent.