[OSCTC-planning] creating an osctc-users list to complement this one

Alex Bayley skud at growstuff.org
Wed Oct 22 18:59:23 UTC 2014

Growstuff recently switched to using Discourse (http://discourse.org/)
instead of Mailman and we're very happy with it so far.  I know you're
probably going "ugh, web forum!" but you can actually set it up to
behave in a very mailing-list-like manner (sending you emails for every
new post, and reply-by-email; emailing to create new topics requires a
bit more fiddling but is also possible).

One of the things we like about Discourse is its searchability and
transparency; people can easily see what the project is up to without
having to painstakingly grovel through unfriendly mail archives, and
it's easy to respond to older threads if the topic comes up again, which
helps keep conversations organised by topic.

Anyway, I know many people love Mailman, and I know where you're coming
from as I was one of them until recently, but if you're looking for a
change this might be something to consider.

A.

On 23/10/2014 5:49 am, Shauna Gordon-McKeon wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> A lot of the knowledge of what's involved in running an OSCTC event is
> being lost, as it's primarily contained in individual osctc event
> mailman lists.  (We've got a lot of them:
> collectively is so difficult as to be impossible.
>
> I'm hoping to create an osctc-users list for people who are running
> OSCTC events to ask questions on.  While I hope that past event
> organizers will remain on the list and contribute advice and answers
> to queries, one of the key features of such a list will be having a
> single archive of information. Unfortunately, mailman does not do
> archives well, at least in its current incarnation.
>
> I've found the Mail Archive: http://www.mail-archive.com/faq.html#newlist
>
> Does anyone have experience with Mail Archive?  Do you recommend it?
> Do folks have other alternatives to suggest?
>
> best
> Shauna

Alex "Skud" Bayley
skud at growstuff.org