[OSCTC-planning] install privileges and our curriculum

Shauna Gordon-McKeon shaunagm at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 16:13:34 UTC 2014

Hi all,

In November, I'm going to be doing two short workshops at campuses where
students tend not to have laptops, so we'll be using computer labs.  I am
told that students will not have install privileges on the computers.

Because these are short events, it's fairly easy to pick a curriculum that
does not require installing anything (do IRC via webchat, make github
changes via the website) and I think all of that is still valuable.  But
installing things is a key part of most open source use and contribution
and I do think we do a disservice when we ignore it.

Do folks have suggestions for ways to convince the IT/administrators at
these schools to allow installation? Are there strategies that would allay
admins' security concerns?

best
Shauna