[OSCTC-planning] Thought about helping OSCTC presenters prepare

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Sun Oct 5 00:31:31 UTC 2014

Shauna & all, here's a thought I had about helping the local teams who are
delivering OSCTC material to the audience prepare.

I'm assuming the following, which I believe is true!

When OSCTC events happen, we usually encourage non-core OpenHatch people to
deliver the curriculum at
https://openhatch.github.io/open-source-comes-to-campus/lessons/index.html

Here's my suggestion, and some explanation -- maybe we already do this, if
so, sorry about the noise!

To help instructors prepare to give a lecture (for example, "Communication
tools" at
https://openhatch.github.io/open-source-comes-to-campus/lessons/index.html
), we could *strongly strongly* encourage the instructor to (1) work
through the "self-guided" version of each presentation by themselves, and
then (2) schedule a time to show up to IRC and ask us any questions they
have. (In fact, we could do this way before an event, thereby seeding good
instructors in different areas of the country/world, so that event
logistics is separate from curriculum prep logistics.) As a bonus (3), we
could then keep a list of people who we feel are successfully trained on
each curriculum module.

Background/rationale:

At CCSF, I gave the full set of lectures, and I'm pretty familiar with the
content and how it's divvied up, but I realize now that if I had done this,
I would have been even more well-prepared, and I would have had an even
better understanding of how the content is divvied up. I don't know why
using the self-driven versions as prep didn't occur to me while I was
prepping, but it didn't, so maybe it wouldn't occur to other instructors.
(I prepped by using the non-self-driven ones.) I imagine that someone new
to any curriculum module would find this a really useful way to orient
themselves.

Reading through the "self-driven" part is less technically complex than
reading the presenter notes, which involves managing two browser windows
which can be weird at first.

Also, I was revisiting the "self-driven" version of different curriculum
parts, and was just really pleased by what I saw, and so I wondered if
there were more ways we could help make that material useful!

If Shauna doesn't have time to be the one doing lots of Q&A with
prospective instructors, we can probably find other people (on this list,
perhaps!) who are interested in doing that. I imagine lots of people would
find that to be a fun use of time.

Curious what y'all think,