[OSCTC-planning] mentorship and other ways to follow up with Open Source Comes to Campus attendees

Heidi Ellis ellis at wne.edu
Sun Jul 20 22:14:47 UTC 2014

Hi Folks,

Sumana's post has caused me to think and also generated some questions.  I know Mel, Shauna, and Sumana at least a bit, Mel better than Shauna and Sumana. However, all three of these folks have what I might call an outgoing spirit.  In group settings, you all actively engage people and are very good at asking the right questions to get people (and newbies) to talk with you. I have seen all three of you successfully convince people that they can contribute to open source projects in useful ways and I am in awe of your abilities in this area.

So now the questions.  Do you think that this willingness to engage people and active interaction is a necessary condition for at least the initial stages of mentoring?  How does this willingness play out in mentoring?  And does this play out differently in face-to-face meetings versus online?

It makes me wonder about the synergy between personality styles and learning styles.

Heidi