[OSCTC-planning] schools to contact for this fall

Shauna Gordon-McKeon shaunagm at gmail.com
Sat Jul 12 21:01:38 UTC 2014

> I've been trying to be very pushy with people from software-carpentry and
> numfocus to get them excited about osctc and OpenHatch affiliated events in
> general. so much so that I hope I am not being annoying with my
> obessiveness!
>
> But, it does seem to me that there is a lot of cross over in the expertise
> needed from the volunteers as well as some of the same skills being taught!
> So I really hope people consider recruiting from those folks.
>
> ... and food for thought,
> http://software-carpentry.org/blog/2014/06/iuse-proposal-rejected.html
>
> We got word a few days ago that our proposal to the NSF's Improving
>> Undergraduate STEM Education
>> <https://www.nsf.gov/funding/pgm_summ.jsp?pims_id=504976> program had
>> been rejected. The panel summary agreed that software training is a good
>> idea, but were not convinced about our plans to shift from training grad
>> students to undergrads. In particular, they were not convinced that
>> Unix-based workshops would be best for undergrads, and felt that not being
>> embedded in the regular curriculum was a weakness. These are fair
>> criticisms: [...]

Once we've got a list of events for the fall, we'll contact SWC and
Numfocus about sending out a "we need mentors!" email. I've found that
actually seeing one of our events run really helps folks get more
enthusiastic about us and also see how we can collaborate.

That said, we're considering, as a goal for 2015, branching out and doing
workshops with open science content and targeted to undergraduate science
majors.  I have been pushing for this for a while, and am super
enthusiastic about it.  :)  So that's an opportunity for us to work even
more closely with scientific open source groups like SWC.