[OSCTC-planning] Getting the diversity language right, on the new campus.openhatch.org

preeya preeya at MIT.EDU
Wed Jan 1 00:46:25 UTC 2014

Hi! I'm the one who originally suggested adding more diversity language to
campus.openhatch.org, and Asheesh asked me to chime in with my thoughts on
the language currently in the etherpad.

I particularly like the penultimate paragraph (labeled "More asheesh
thinking out loud"). I think it hits the right mix of earnestness,
sincerity and showing that there is experience with trying to achieve
diversity goals. It could perhaps be just one sentence longer, because it
feels like it ends somewhat abruptly, but I think it's really good. I also
really like the turns of phrase it includes, such as summing up diversity
as trying to "match the world's demographics".

I also like the last paragraph, labeled "Mike retake", but it feels
to me like the phrasing lacks some of the earnestness of Asheesh's take,
and it doesn't include some of the nice turns of phrase. So overall I
prefer Asheesh's.

But perhaps I am wrong or have missed something! Asheesh tells me there is
a lot of IRC stuff I have missed, so I will try to join the conversation
there and not be a stranger. :)

-Preeya