[OSCTC-planning] mentorship and other ways to follow up with Open Source Comes to Campus attendees

Mel Chua chuam at purdue.edu
Tue Aug 5 13:35:54 UTC 2014

-------- Original message --------
From Sumana Harihareswara <sumanah at panix.com>
Date: 04/08/2014  21:54  (GMT-06:00)
To Planning for Open Source Comes to Campus <osctc-planning at lists.openhatch.org>
Subject Re: [OSCTC-planning] mentorship and other ways to follow up with
  Open Source Comes to Campus attendees

>> Are there some specific readings you'd suggest for
>>legitimate peripheral participation?

There's no short summary of LPP I'm happy with, but http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legitimate_peripheral_participation and the first 2 sections of http://productive-theory.wikispaces.com/Legitimate+Peripheral+Participation are decent, if somewhat abstract.

If you want to dive deep, http://www.amazon.com/Situated-Learning-Participation-Computational-Perspectives/dp/0521423740 is the classic book... but it's pretty academic, so you'll need to mine for pragmatism (what I did).

Separately, I'm happy to have convos with people on this or other learning-related concepts over videochat and /or IRC, in exchange for notes & writing feedback; I'm trying to write these concepts up for the hacker community and find that dialogue is super helpful. So if anyone is interested in that, let me know off-list. (For instance, I have a talk transcript that contains a section on LPP-for-hackers that could be cleaned up into a blog post, if someone wants to pair with me on that for an hour as a way to learn.)*

--Mel

*pairing is often an example of LPP itself!