[mpw-staff] Fwd: Re: Thank you for coming to the workshop!

Mel Chua mel at melchua.com
Thu Apr 19 00:48:52 UTC 2012

The first of several responses from the Purdue folks describing their
more detailed analysis of the workshop -- these are people who think
about STEM education, pedagogy, etc. pretty much every day, and
hopefully we'll get them to come back as TAs if we run one closer to (or
at!) Purdue...

---

I'm really, really curious what this looked like from an "outside"
perspective -- I've been doing this sort of thing so long it seems
completely normal to me now, so I would love to hear how you'd
describe/analyze it.

> no prob, i learned a great deal! the most important information was
> the RELEVANCE of coding. I had never imagined that I could use it for
> things like, programming emails. As president and as an office
> assistant for WIEP, I have sent a ton of emails, if I could have
> programmed a standard for different types of emails that could have
> saved me a great deal of time. I reeeeeaally want to be able to do
> that. I found coding helpful to me as I need to run office-like
> things.I also want to using coding for artistic purposes. The demos
> that were shown at lunch were helpful and I would have like to have
> spent almost 2 hours going over demos, just to really expand my
> imagination of what is possible with python.

I was curious -- while it's still fresh in your minds -- how you would
analyze the experience and the design from an engineering education
perspective. (I think we have all taken CAP now, right?) What sorts of
things did this make you think of? Do you see any ways it might tie into
the research you want to do (either with programming as a tool, or one
of the techniques we used at this workshop as a way of teaching that
might be interesting to look at, etc)?