[OpenHatch Mentors] volunteers needed for Open Source Comes to Campus events in November!

Shauna Gordon-McKeon shaunagm at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 21:48:21 UTC 2014

Hello FOSS enthusiasts!

We've got a bunch of events scheduled for November, and are looking for
more mentors to help students learn the ways of open source.  These are all
full day events, although you don't need to attend for the whole day in
order to mentor and have an impact.  :)

Here's a list of schools below, along with links to websites for the
events, where available, and sign-up forms:

*Events on Saturday, November 15th*

*Hartnell College *(Salinas, CA - transportation will be provided from SF
Bay area)
Sign-up form
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1zSuSAxKpgHEKAlroR9Be17pC66Q9DLutfA3XsegSDrc/viewform>

*Columbia University *(NY, NY)
Sign-up form
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/14LAMl0hM11hlJKtDXGz3By0nrDWe5S5coch_7wRgFvM/viewform>

*Indiana University at Bloomington *(Bloomington, IN)
Website <http://iub.openhatch.org/> and Sign-up form
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1ZMQnH8WvX0s2oBiCG_tKaUauQApq-w8nmG6kvlwl00A/viewform>

*Cornell University *(Ithaca, NY)
Sign-up form
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1TAfqnOgNyn_8e7ykLjD2WUklfjLTB6Ddv_Kml7QYLh8/viewform>

*Swarthmore College *(Swarthmore, PA, near Philadelphia)
Sign-up form
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1bhGqpzMROonjai4iR42WTOy4PfIH55m8BvFcRp8Rl6U/viewform>

*Events on Sunday, November 16th*

*SUNY Stony Brook *(Stony Brook, Long Island, NY)
Sign-up form
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1ZVOki57n6izIJN5b3WxXsZGzqDNGbroMRH6hBh9l-VM/viewform>

*University of Washington *(Seattle, WA)
Website <http://washington.openhatch.org/> and Sign-up form
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1Rqvm7TLAms4csLqAhc9xnRrwRyp57p-LfFWdhPJ3GOs/viewform>

*UC Berkeley *(Berkeley, CA)
Sign-up form
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1DLHtYpxy3dVL6gtrQs1Gx7it9Ygy7UFcYQK-ebkHfZE/viewform>

*Purdue University *(Lafayette, IN)
Sign-up form
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1uAJjA0m6W8f29GhmoZufR2TdnXBU7Do3wPZG5rFuKRY/viewform>

*Events on Saturday, November 22nd*

*Princeton University *(Princeton, NJ)
Sign-up Form
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1Nk1ehWl6fifEZ1HN-chn6cnBqJJ1RXDZEJDHkxs21pc/viewform>

Additionally, I will be personally running two short events on the evenings
of Tuesday, November 18th at Baruch College and Wednesday, November 19th at
Per Scholas, both in New York City.  If you are interested in helping,
please let me know by emailing me directly.  Spots for mentors at these
events will be reserved for those who want to learn to lead short events
themselves.

If you can’t make the event but have suggestions of people in the area who
might enjoy mentoring at the event, please put us in touch!  You can send
us their email, or send them our email (hello at openhatch.org), or simply
forward along this message - whichever you prefer.

As always, let me know if you have any questions!

best,
Shauna

*

*What is Open Source Comes to Campus?*

Open Source Comes to Campus is a one-day workshop to teach the tools and
culture of open source development and to help students impact real
projects. Our curriculum covers the practical skills students need to
contribute to open source projects, such as using version control, issue
trackers, and IRC. It creates connections between students and open source
professionals who can explain how the community and culture works. And it
gives students the opportunity to make real contributions to active open
source projects - all in a single day!

To learn more, visit here: http://campus.openhatch.org/

*Who should mentor?*

We're looking for people to help mentor attendees as they learn how to
contribute to open source projects.  Instructors with a variety of
backgrounds are welcome: while it's great if you have tons of experience
using git and setting up development environments, we're also looking for
people who've been involved with open source as non-programmers, who know a
bit about picking bugs and submitting patches, or who just like to talk
about their experiences with open source.

We now provide a (completely optional) training program online for people
who want to go over our materials before volunteering at our events.  To
sign up for the program, fill out this form:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1CIM_sQzQPM2X3RFf52otZX8KMJsKfZibvTXtQycuoGs/viewform