[Events] Finding staff for python workshops and project nights

sheila miguez shekay at pobox.com
Mon Mar 3 16:24:24 UTC 2014

It's my fault. I didn't find my stash of name tags and didn't make enough
time to get more. You are totally right!

At CPW we had name-tags for everyone, with a different colour for helpers.

I think I enjoyed helping -- I wasn't expecting to help, but I started
walking someone through the django tutorial -- and may have a few updates
for the setup wiki pages since the mac didn't allow smultron to run.

On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 9:32 AM, JP Bader <jp at zavteq.com> wrote:

> After going to the workshop last week, one thing I noticed was the
> volunteers/assistants were not clearly marked. Unless you sat down at a
> table and either guessed, or hoped, the person next to you was able to
> help, there was no discernible way to know who was helping. Maybe name tags
> or sweater vests or silly Dr. Seuss hats as indicators?
>
> I enjoyed talking to people, seeing if I could help with questions, and
> answering any unique questions folks threw out. Hopefully I helped more
> than annoyed :)
>
> JP
>

> On Sat, Mar 1, 2014 at 11:08 AM, Eric Stein <toba at des.truct.org> wrote:
>
>>  I generally go with asking in the community for volunteers. Of course,
>> I am more ad-hoc about things than you are.
>>
>> Guidelines to follow are, I ask the people I think of first. If I still
>> don't have enough people, I ask people to put themselves out there and I
>> will contact them if I need them.
>>
>> I then just don't contact people that I don't trust/dislike/etc. It's
>> lower conflict that way.
>>
>> Eric
>>

>> On 02/22/2014 08:42 AM, sheila miguez wrote:
>>
>>   Hi all,
>>
>>  I am kicking off more workshops and project nights this year, and we
>> have a core group of people on the cpw-staff list from last time. I'd like
>> to invite more people to take on staff roles.
>>
>>  We have a code of conduct for staff and attendees, and I expect staff
>> members to be experts above and beyond attendees.
>>
>>  Do any of you have guidelines you follow when recruiting staff for
>> events?
>>

>> --
>> sheila

> --