[Events] how to approach disengaged attendees

Julien Dorra juliendorra at juliendorra.com
Tue Jan 28 17:15:32 UTC 2014

Just added this to the pad as a sign of someone struggling:

   - The person is contesting the activity itself: "it's not useful". "It's
   not what I am here for". Refusal might be in fact a sign of struggling with
   the purpose and path of the activity.

This is something I saw both in (event-designed) sprint/hackathon/weekends
and in the classroom. Ex: refusal to do research, refusal to participate to
a team building session...

 Revolt against the activity/protocol might well be that there is something
about it that needs clarification.

These are the participants/students that used to take me by surprise the
most. Probably because they force you to re-evaluate your assumptions about
how clear it was that the activity was great and useful for everybody.

Julien

2014-01-28 Shauna Gordon-McKeon <shaunagm at gmail.com>